You know you are a Port "geek" when ...

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Mike J. W.

Re: You know you are a Port "geek" when ...

Post by Mike J. W. »

When the guy that showed up to fix your cable comes up from the basement and says "I see you've got an infestation down there." and he's not talking about termites.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:20 pm "Furniture" in your house are actually stacked boxes of Port in every room.
I feel called out. :lol: [friends.gif]
Glenn Elliott
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

When there's a quarter million in port in the basement.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Moses Botbol wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:46 am When there's a quarter million in port in the basement.
Yikes!
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Gerwin de Graaf

Post by Gerwin de Graaf »

Mike J. W. wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:55 am
Moses Botbol wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:46 am When there's a quarter million in port in the basement.
Yikes!
+1 !
Jonathan S

Post by Jonathan S »

When in Boston, can I? :thumbsup:
Jonathan S

Post by Jonathan S »

... when asked a specific question about Port, you go on for five minutes with a complete rundown before you finally catch the glazed-over look in the eyes of your fellow participant in the "conversation."
Last edited by Jonathan S on Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Jonathan S wrote:... when asked a specific question about Port, you go on for five minutes with a complete rundown before you finally catch the glazed-over look in your the eyes of fellow participant in the "conversation."
Image so true.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Jonathan S wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:16 pm
Any time... You should check out the Angus Barn's port and madeira selection if you are not already a regular! They have several bottles at retail or less prices going back to the early 20th Century.

I was working out of Raleigh for almost 2 years (until Covid) and went to AB almost weekly. Not to mention a great list of Portuguese dry wines.
Jonathan S

Post by Jonathan S »

Moses Botbol wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:59 am
Jonathan S wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:16 pm
Any time... You should check out the Angus Barn's port and madeira selection if you are not already a regular! They have several bottles at retail or less prices going back to the early 20th Century.

I was working out of Raleigh for almost 2 years (until Covid) and went to AB almost weekly. Not to mention a great list of Portuguese dry wines.
Moses, I love Boston and would love to just lay eyes on your incredible collection!

As for the Angus Barn, I hope that you are back here in Raleigh for work after COVID. I would love to meet you there and share a bottle or two (and a fine steak, too). [cheers.gif]
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

When you move country to work with a Port company?
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Jonathan S wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:14 pm Moses, I love Boston and would love to just lay eyes on your incredible collection!

As for the Angus Barn, I hope that you are back here in Raleigh for work after COVID. I would love to meet you there and share a bottle or two (and a fine steak, too). [cheers.gif]
If you make it to Boston, give me a PM ahead of time.

Angus Barn lets you take unfinished wine home.
Jonathan S

Post by Jonathan S »

Moses Botbol wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:17 am
Jonathan S wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:14 pm Moses, I love Boston and would love to just lay eyes on your incredible collection!

If you make it to Boston, give me a PM ahead of time.

Angus Barn lets you take unfinished wine home.
Count on it, Moses! 8--)

Also, great to hear on the Angus Barn! [cheers.gif]