A port is closed when ...

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Luc Gauthier

A port is closed when ...

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Is there a grape varietal that affects the dumb phase [shrug.gif]
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Frederick Blais

Re: A port is closed when ...

Post by Frederick Blais »

Luc Gauthier wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:31 pm Is there a grape varietal that affects the dumb phase [shrug.gif]
Difficult to say... it would require to bottle each varietal separately and taste every year to witness it.

But I doubt it has to do with varietals as some years like 1994 there seems to be almost no dumb phase while the 1980 lasted way longer than many other years.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Merci Fred
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Frederick Blais wrote:
Luc Gauthier wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:31 pm Is there a grape varietal that affects the dumb phase [shrug.gif]
Difficult to say... it would require to bottle each varietal separately and taste every year to witness it.

But I doubt it has to do with varietals as some years like 1994 there seems to be almost no dumb phase while the 1980 lasted way longer than many other years.
1994 went an unusually long time with no dumb phase. Then they shut down hard about 6-7 or so years ago, and remained so for quite a while. They are still recovering from it. But mostly are showing excellent again.

No clue why they lasted so long before shutting down, but I’d be curious as to anyone’s thoughts about it.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Andy Velebil wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:18 pm
Frederick Blais wrote:

1994 went an unusually long time with no dumb phase. Then they shut down hard about 6-7 or so years ago, and remained so for quite a while. They are still recovering from it. But mostly are showing excellent again.

No clue why they lasted so long before shutting down, but I’d be curious as to anyone’s thoughts about it.
Perhaps ports that are that monumental have a longer closed phase? How long was 1970 closed for before it turned around? Maybe someone here who was buying this port in the 70's can remember?
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

From what I can hear(because I was too young), Ports before 1985 where really difficult to drink in their youth compare to what they are now. They were green, harsh, bitter. Almost closed from day 1!

My intuition points me to the ripening season. If the berries gets ripe because of grotwh or because of stress. That would affect the tannins, the ratio pulp/skins and the way phenolics develop in the berries which are utimately part of the anti-oxydants required for the wine aging and development in the bottle. I say this, because I believe it is related to growing conditions. Why then, Ports from the same Vintage behave more in the same way than Ports from the same house in different Vintage.

I'm not Port winemaker, that would be a great question for the Port trade!
Living the dream and now working for a Port company