What Madeira Have You Opened This Week?

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Eric Ifune

Re: What Madeira Have You Opened This Week?

Post by Eric Ifune »

Prices for the Cossart have gone up considerably over the past 5 or so years. I guess the lack of 19th C wines is making prices for the early 20th C rise. Michael Broadbent once listed it as one of his top 10 wines of the 20th C.
Good bottles are really great.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Borges Rainwater. Has to be the best $10 bottle of Madeira on the market. Anyone have any better recommendations at that price point?
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andreas Platt

Post by Andreas Platt »

Regarding 1920 M C&G I think one reason why this is increasing in price is the fact it is said to be the last ancient M from Faja (dos Padres, of course).

"Made from the last Malvasia Candida vines from" the Faja dos Padres vineyard. Tasted on eight occasions and it is always sheer perfection...To summarize: medium-deep, rich amber, gold" highlights; highly scented, floral, almost" strawberry-like fruit, or grande champagne cognac;" fairly sweet, fleshy yet not of this world," richness countering the customary acidity. Perfect balance. Fabulous flavour. Last tasted May 1997 ***** (I have just one bottle left!)" - M.B."
Marc R

Post by Marc R »

Over the past few days, I’ve been drinking the Barbeito Duas Pipas Bastardo. I’m interested in the insights of those more experienced with the the bastardo grape. I’ve only tasted the grape a couple of times and both were many years ago, early in my coming to really get to know Madeira, so my notes are skimpy.

While I enjoy this wine and get a lot of lime, orange as well as macadamia and toasted hazelnut on the nose and, and as it settles a few Seconds after entering the palate it becomes sweeter than I anticipated with more apricot and buttery walnut notes and a long finish. However, what I find a bit perplexing is how light and thin it tastes upon entry. It was if there was nothing there, at first. Not the richness of a Malvasia or the acid of a Verdelho or Sercial; just completely non-descript at first.

Is that normal for the bastardo grape? What are its typical characteristics?

Again, I enjoy this on the nose and the finish, but there’s a bit of a gap in the experience for me that I can’t quite figure out yet (but am happy to keep exploring).,
Mike K.

Post by Mike K. »

Marc R wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:48 pm Over the past few days, I’ve been drinking the Barbeito Duas Pipas Bastardo. I’m interested in the insights of those more experienced with the the bastardo grape. I’ve only tasted the grape a couple of times and both were many years ago, early in my coming to really get to know Madeira, so my notes are skimpy.

While I enjoy this wine and get a lot of lime, orange as well as macadamia and toasted hazelnut on the nose and, and as it settles a few Seconds after entering the palate it becomes sweeter than I anticipated with more apricot and buttery walnut notes and a long finish. However, what I find a bit perplexing is how light and thin it tastes upon entry. It was if there was nothing there, at first. Not the richness of a Malvasia or the acid of a Verdelho or Sercial; just completely non-descript at first.

Is that normal for the bastardo grape? What are its typical characteristics?

Again, I enjoy this on the nose and the finish, but there’s a bit of a gap in the experience for me that I can’t quite figure out yet (but am happy to keep exploring).,
I picked up this same bottle a few weeks back. Let's open it up and see ...

Your tasting notes are on-par with my impressions. Although I don't get as much on the nose as you did.

I find the nose and entry pleasant but there's not all that much going on. Mid-palate through finish has good body and light sweetness, but again quite simple and one dimensional. I look forward to how this opens up over the coming weeks, but so far - for me - this is an entry level wine. Quite pleasant and elegant but not impressing me.

I bought this bottle due to the relative rarity of the grape. When is the last time you saw a bottle of Bastardo sitting on the shelf? Not very often. I haven't had many opportunities myself either - but my other experiences were more memorable.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

For me, Bastardo is one of the least interesting varieties. That said, I'm looking forward to seeing older versions of Barbeito's experiments with it.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

For New Years, 1983 MEF Verdelho. I think this the best postwar Verdelho!
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Tonight was Boal from Barbeita 1997, Fresqueira, Garrafao 25 bottle 60/162
I was extremely deceived by the Verdelho from the same edition but wow, this Boal was simply rocking. I opened this for Luis Seabra and he looked at me and said '' there is no way you can keep some for tomorrow!!!" When a wine is so good, it is a tough act to follow!
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Eric Ifune wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:56 pm For New Years, 1983 MEF Verdelho. I think this the best postwar Verdelho!
Wow! Quite a statement!
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Frederick Blais wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:59 pm "there is no way you can keep some for tomorrow!!!"

Wow! :shock:
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Wow! Quite a statement!
I know. But I can't think of any other.
Mike K.

Post by Mike K. »

Eric Ifune wrote:
Wow! Quite a statement!
I know. But I can't think of any other.
I’ve got one open, it is pretty damn good.
My experience is less than yours Eric, but I haven’t had a better one either.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

1988 and 1993 Barbeito Sercial Manuel Euginio Fernandes. Wanted to give them a try.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

RWC Baltimore Rainwater
Michael R

Post by Michael R »

1902 Barbeito Madeira Verdelho Pico dos Barcelos
1929 Barbeito Verdelho (seems to have been bottled ~20 ago)
1979 HM Borges Sercial
1988 Barbeito Sercial Manuel Euginio Fernandes
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

It's not a newly opened bottle, but I went back to revisit a previously opened bottle of V. Sattui Madeira from Napa Valley and it was still delicious.

It seems almost like a blend between a malvasia and a 20-year old tawny. Not quite the acidity of a true Madeira, but really big and fruity flavor.
Glenn Elliott
Mike K.

Post by Mike K. »

D'Oliveiras Colheita Malvasia 1992 (bottled 2013)

Will need a few days in the decanter to blow off the bottle stink.

Oh, the flavor! Candy bar in a glass. Great viscosity, chocolate, caramel, and cherries. Acid arrives towards the finish to balance it perfectly. Touch of citrus on the finish. So glad I have a few of these in the cellar.
Gary Banker
Location: Shirley, Massachusetts, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Banker »

Barbeiito Terrantez Reserve

480 bottles were bottled
Michael R

Post by Michael R »

1900 Manuel de Sousa Herdeiros Boal
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Barbeito O Japones 50 Year Old Malvasia

While a very nice Madeira, I didn't feel it lived up to the hype I'd seen about it. It was lighter and more ethereal than most older Malvasias, and according to the spec sheet is only 97 g/l residual sugar. That seems rather low for a Malvasia, which I'm sure contributed to the etherealness of the wine. The consensus at the table was 94 points, whereas I've seen 19.5 and 20 out of 20 as well as 100 pts on the internet.
Glenn Elliott