40th birthday tasting. Decant times?

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Thomas V

40th birthday tasting. Decant times?

Post by Thomas V »

Hello folks

On Thursday I turn a sharp corner and hit 40 years of age. That day is reserved for family. But on the Friday I am having over 6 friends for a nice wine tasting where I will serve some special ports as well.

I have my own ideas about the decant times, but I would like your expert input as well. (If you have input for the table wines I happily take that as well)

These are the 3 ports which will be served in this order:

1966 Dow's Vintage Port (Douro)
60 Anos S. Leonardo Branco a 2017 bottling (Douro)
30 Anos Wiese & Krohn Tawny a 2010 or 2011 bottling (Douro)

The table wines

2000 Grongnet Special Club (Champagne)
1997 Grongnet Special Club (Champagne)
2018 Domaine Labet Chardonnay (Jura)
2014 Bruno Giacosa (Barbaresco)
2007 Antinori Tignanello, IGT (Toscana)
2007 Weingut Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel (Mosel)
FullSizeRender(16).jpg
FullSizeRender(16).jpg (1.4 MiB) Viewed 2260 times
Krohn30YOTawnyOldBtl.jpg
Krohn30YOTawnyOldBtl.jpg (1.23 MiB) Viewed 2260 times
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: 40th birthday tasting. Decant times?

Post by Glenn E. »

Congrats, and happy birthday! But 40 isn't that bad... it's 50 that you have to watch out for! :lol:

I would decant the 1966 Dow for 4-6 hours... probably closer to 4. If it's going to sit while other wines are being consumed, or while eating, take that into account and include it in the decant time.

The S. Leonardo 60YO Branco probably doesn't need to be decanted. It's only 4 years in bottle. But opening the bottle up to an hour before drinking wouldn't hurt.

The Krohn 30YO Tawny is the tricky one. 10 years in bottle is enough to possibly develop some bottle stink, in which case you'd probably want 2-3 hours in a decanter to let it blow off. But if no bottle stink, then it doesn't really need to be decanted. What I usually do with Ports like this is to open the bottle 2-3 hours before drinking and check it. If it's fine then I put a stopper in the bottle and put it back in the (wine) fridge. If there's some stink, then I decant it. At least for me bottle stink gets worse as a Port warms up, so if it is cool when opened you might need to pour a small sample into a glass to warm up for your test.
Glenn Elliott
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Thanks for your input Glenn. Always appreciated.

I went with around 2½ hours for the Dow's and it turned out perfectly. Still soft but lingering tannins in this bad boy. Such an impressive wine and for me WOTN. The refinement of an old VP just is outstanding and subtle. I have no words.

The 30YO I opened the day before to check if it had bottle stink or the likes. So around 3 hours airtime and then again around 3-4 hours before serving it. It kept opening up and with classic depth and concentration of Wiese & Krohn it was quite the tasting experience. Reminds me of the 1961 W&K Colheita and that is saying something.

Overall a perfect night and no faulty wines. The Tignanello was also sublime as well as the Joh. Jos Prum Riesling.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Happy Birthday!! [cheers.gif]
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com