Port Tonic in a can

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Port Tonic in a can

Post by Andy Velebil »

The Fladgate Partnership has announced they are now making Port Tonic, ready made, in a can. Pretty good idea if you're going on a picnic or other event where it's easier to toss a can in a cooler.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bradley Bogdan

Re: Port Tonic in a can

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

I’d be open to trying that. There are some appropriately quaffable PNW wines in cans as of late, don’t see why that couldn’t work too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Brad

Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Easier than buying a cheaper white port and 6 pack tonic for that once in a while cocktail. Great idea.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

All means are good as long as there's profit at the end of the line
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

I was given one last week end, I'll open it soon. For now they are only available at WOW and Taylor's group restaurants/bars
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Frederick Blais wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:13 am I was given one last week end, I'll open it soon. For now they are only available at WOW and Taylor's group restaurants/bars
Do report back on it. If decently good, then a shame they can't be had in other places.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Andy, I think for now the first batch out of the line went to where they needed it the most, that is my feeling.

Now back to the test. First I have to say, I have never been a fan of Dry White young Port. I've tried, even in cocktail, I could not find its use.

Straight pour, cold, in a nice water glass. Not bad, not special, some Port flavours, but I felt either the dryness of the white Port or the tonic was giving a bitter touch on the finish. Added a slice of lemon and ice cube and suddenly it became much interesting.

I think it is a cool option for pick-nicks, partys, by the pool when you need something quick and refreshing. It is definitively an interesting product for those who do not like beers and are into Mike's lemonade kinda things.

Would I buy, for me no. But if I go to a summer pool party and you want to introduce some friends to Port, why not! Just like Rosé Port, not meant for us but it has its role to play.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Frederick Blais wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 11:00 am Andy, I think for now the first batch out of the line went to where they needed it the most, that is my feeling.

Now back to the test. First I have to say, I have never been a fan of Dry White young Port. I've tried, even in cocktail, I could not find its use.

Straight pour, cold, in a nice water glass. Not bad, not special, some Port flavours, but I felt either the dryness of the white Port or the tonic was giving a bitter touch on the finish. Added a slice of lemon and ice cube and suddenly it became much interesting.

I think it is a cool option for pick-nicks, partys, by the pool when you need something quick and refreshing. It is definitively an interesting product for those who do not like beers and are into Mike's lemonade kinda things.

Would I buy, for me no. But if I go to a summer pool party and you want to introduce some friends to Port, why not! Just like Rosé Port, not meant for us but it has its role to play.
Thanks for letting us know how it was.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Check this out from Adrian Bridge. They expect to sell 1 million cans in the first year :shock:

Oh, and there is a Croft Pink version coming too.
https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2021/ ... irst-year/