1896 Taylor's Single Harvest Tawny is coming

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

1896 Taylor's Single Harvest Tawny is coming

Post by Andy Velebil »

I occasionally peruse through the TTB's label approving website. Seems Taylor's is releasing a "1896 Single Harvest Porto". This is not Scion, the label clearly shows bottled in 2021 and it is not called Scion it is called "Taylor Fladgate 1896 Single Harvest Port."

https://ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewC ... 2001000211

Click the "Printable Verson" to see the label pics.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Phil W

Re: 1896 Taylor's Single Harvest Tawny is coming

Post by Phil W »

TFP have been trailing an announcement for something special to be announced tomorrow, perhaps it might be a 1971 Colheita, or this, or both?
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Phil W wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:58 am TFP have been trailing an announcement for something special to be announced tomorrow, perhaps it might be a 1971 Colheita, or this, or both?
Makes sense, this would be something very special.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Tasted at the Krohn lodge some years ago. There was also a white 1896. Nearly as good as the 1863.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric Ifune wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:12 pm Tasted at the Krohn lodge some years ago. There was also a white 1896. Nearly as good as the 1863.
I forgot about those, now that really makes sense, HAHAHA!
Phil W

Post by Phil W »

And the announcement is indeed made:
https://twitter.com/TaylorsPortWine/status/1389716511871442949
https://taylor.pt/en/port-wine/1896-single-harvest
Gorgeous looking, will be very interesting to see how this compares to the previous 1863 and Scion (1855) releases.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:55 pm
Eric Ifune wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:12 pm Tasted at the Krohn lodge some years ago. There was also a white 1896. Nearly as good as the 1863.
Yeah this is pretty clearly the 1896 Krohn. Anyone know yet what it costs? I didn't see a price on their website. IIRC Krohn offered a 2-pack (white and tawny) right before the purchase for 8000 EUR. Even if Taylor's price is lower, I'm sure it'll still be out of my range.
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Glenn E. wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:55 pm
Yeah this is pretty clearly the 1896 Krohn. Anyone know yet what it costs? I didn't see a price on their website. IIRC Krohn offered a 2-pack (white and tawny) right before the purchase for 8000 EUR. Even if Taylor's price is lower, I'm sure it'll still be out of my range.
I don’t know USA pricing but I thought the UK folks said around €3,800.
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Ooof, that’s still a heck of a price, though I imagine they’re in no rush to get it sold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Brad

Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

There was more than a pipe's worth at Krohn. If my memory is correct, there was a single pipe of the white.
WJ Evans

Post by WJ Evans »

Has this been, or is this being, released in the US? My cousin had bought a couple bottles of the 1863 and he likely would want to get some of this.

Out of curiosity, how are these old ones stored? Since these are "aged tawney" rather than vintage port, are they kept in barrels this whole time until bottling upon a new release?

Also, as aged Tawney's vs. vintage, what's the drinking window once an old port like this is opened?
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Not sure what Taylors has done with these wines, but when still in the old Krohn lodge, they were still in Pipas.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

WJ Evans wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:30 am Has this been, or is this being, released in the US? My cousin had bought a couple bottles of the 1863 and he likely would want to get some of this.

Out of curiosity, how are these old ones stored? Since these are "aged tawney" rather than vintage port, are they kept in barrels this whole time until bottling upon a new release?

Also, as aged Tawney's vs. vintage, what's the drinking window once an old port like this is opened?
They have been approved by the TTB, so I would assume at some point it will be released in the USA.

Tawny this old is generally kept in old wood barrels until shortly before bottling.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

WJ Evans wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:30 am Also, as aged Tawney's vs. vintage, what's the drinking window once an old port like this is opened?
I dunno, maybe a week? I can't imagine a bottle like that lasting more than a few days in my house. :lol:

But more seriously, Andy answered your first two questions. The answer to this one varies based on personal preference, but at least for me they'll easily last a month with no ill side effects. They've been oxidizing in wood for so long that what's a few more weeks of air once opened?

If you open one and you're worried about it, keep it stoppered in the fridge.
Glenn Elliott
WJ Evans

Post by WJ Evans »

Glenn E. wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:31 pm
WJ Evans wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:30 am Also, as aged Tawney's vs. vintage, what's the drinking window once an old port like this is opened?
I dunno, maybe a week? I can't imagine a bottle like that lasting more than a few days in my house. :lol:

But more seriously, Andy answered your first two questions. The answer to this one varies based on personal preference, but at least for me they'll easily last a month with no ill side effects. They've been oxidizing in wood for so long that what's a few more weeks of air once opened?

If you open one and you're worried about it, keep it stoppered in the fridge.
lol, I missed this the other day. Yea, when I was lucky enough to try the 1863, it did NOT last long. We downed it in one evening. Not sure I can bring myself to buy the 1896, since I was a drinker not a buyer of the 1863, but if I did, I was wondering if it could be drunk over a few days, if it was just my wife and I, such as maybe buying it and then drinking on our anniversary.
Mike K.

Post by Mike K. »

WJ Evans wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:32 pm lol, I missed this the other day. Yea, when I was lucky enough to try the 1863, it did NOT last long. We downed it in one evening. Not sure I can bring myself to buy the 1896, since I was a drinker not a buyer of the 1863, but if I did, I was wondering if it could be drunk over a few days, if it was just my wife and I, such as maybe buying it and then drinking on our anniversary.
I don't know if a wine of this age behaves any differently, but ...

A trick I often use with special bottles of wood aged port, madeira, and whiskies is to decant it into a pair of half bottles immediately after opening.
One bottle is put aside in the cellar to be enjoyed in the near future, while the other is enjoyed now over the next few days or weeks.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I am glad to see Eric mentioning that these were originally Krohn. I have photos of ALL 1863 and 1896 White and Colheita versions that were in Port pipes in their old REAL Port Knox. The original. There were three of the 1863's IIRC, but I'll have to take a look when time permits and see exactly how many of those and both types of 1863. I was only in that cage on three occasions and each and every time was a remarkable experience. I believe my first time, I rated the 3 of those Ports a total of 298 points. Pretty spectacular. I think the lowest score I heard for the 3 that day, was 295. "I was afraid to give out any 100 points to these even though incredible, in case I have a better Port someday." [kez_11.gif]
That was a very fortunate group. The second time, we had a smaller gathering in there and were given top offs to our pours. Unforgettable. I could swear that Rune asked one of TFP execs if they were going to keep the Krohn name on their products, either on the front or back labels and the response was a definitive, "yes". C'est dommage!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Roy , would this be the Krohn cage
Attachments
FB_IMG_1610495631548.jpg
FB_IMG_1610495631548.jpg (49.74 KiB) Viewed 4493 times
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Yes, sir. You chose a good year to join us, Luc!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com