A Novel Nacional

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Frederick Blais

Re: A Novel Nacional

Post by Frederick Blais »

Among the Ports I really enjoyed from 2017

Warre
Niepoort
Andresen
Taylor
Quevedo
Pocas
Wine and Soul

Then of course, all the other big ones, you won't be disapointed like Fonseca, Grahams, Dow, Vesuvio, Croft
Maybe Graham's Stone Terraces and Vargellas Vinhas Velhas are high end Port that you won't spend 1k$ to get them.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

For 2017, many consider the Niepoort VP, the top of the class and it's not too expensive as well. Either the regular Taylor VP or the Taylor Vinha Velha (much more expensive) are also both supposed to be special. If you want a sleeper pick, try the Sandeman Quinta Do Seixo. It's fairly inexpensive and should be able to be found pretty easily. Congrats!
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I would add Quinta do Vale Meao
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Any big name. I'd rather have a 8-9 Taylor's than on Nacional in your instance.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Did a 2017 preview tasting when they were released and the ones I was the most impressed with were

Graham's, Warre's and Vesuvio

You couldn't go wrong with either of the 3. A lot of other great houses has already been mentioned and I'll just add a few more options for you.

Fonseca always top tier in the VP space
Quinta da Romaneira a rising star

For my first born from 2018 I have started off with a case of Vesuvio and Romaneira. Will add on later. (Sometimes the VP dip below the en primeur price a few years later. Interest is not as high and newer vintages have been released. So feel no rush to purchase right now)

Have fun and let us know what you end up buying.