What Port(s) have you purchased this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: What Port(s) have you purchased this week?

Post by Glenn E. »

No single auction - K&L Wines in CA runs single lot auctions continuously. They don't ship to very many states, though, unfortunately.
Glenn Elliott
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Glenn E. wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:50 pm No single auction - K&L Wines in CA runs single lot auctions continuously. They don't ship to very many states, though, unfortunately.
I curse K&L as they don't ship to Jersey. I've seen some nice Ports on auction there over the years.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Mike J. W. wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:56 am I curse K&L as they don't ship to Jersey. I've seen some nice Ports on auction there over the years.
They used to ship all over, but I think their lawyers got scared a while back. Time to find a friend in the bay area Mike.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Eric Menchen wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:14 am
Mike J. W. wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:56 am I curse K&L as they don't ship to Jersey. I've seen some nice Ports on auction there over the years.
They used to ship all over, but I think their lawyers got scared a while back. Time to find a friend in the bay area Mike.
The funny thing is, I used to live in the bay area. Back then though, I was just drinking still wines.
My son might move back there sometime next year, so I'll have my source.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

4 x 20 yo Quinta da Pacheca 20 yo Tawny
1 x 2013 Dalva LBV
1 x 2014 Royal Oporto LBV
2 x 2017 Borges Soalheira VP
1 x Ferreira Dona Antonia 20 Year yo Tawny
1 x 2008 Andresen LBV
1 x 2003 Cockburn VP
1 x Sandeman 20 yo Tawny
1 x 2011 Dow's LBV
1 x Barao de Vilar 10 yo White (500 ml bottle)
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

4 x 1992 Taylor Fladgate VP halves
1 x 1994 Quinta do Vesuvio SQVP
Last edited by Mike J. W. on Wed May 19, 2021 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

4.5L (Jeroboam) of Graham's 20 Year Tawny.

I've been thinking of getting one for a long while to use at my new house warming party. Well, the now not so new house (moved in last year two days before lockdown started). Now that things are improving on the Covid front, I threw caution to the wind and got one. At some point this summer it will be opened at the, now very late, house warming gathering...when we're allowed more people to gather that is.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Andy Velebil wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:41 am 4.5L (Jeroboam) of Graham's 20 Year Tawny.
:shock:
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric Menchen wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:41 am 4.5L (Jeroboam) of Graham's 20 Year Tawny.
:shock:
It just arrived. Forgot how big these are. Lol
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

I've been thinking of getting one for a long while to use at my new house warming party. Well, the now not so new house (moved in last year two days before lockdown started). Now that things are improving on the Covid front, I threw caution to the wind and got one. At some point this summer it will be opened at the, now very late, house warming gathering...when we're allowed more people to gather that is.
That's over 10 lbs of lifting, when someone starts to pour. By the end of the night your guests will be ripped in more ways than one. :lol:
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mike J. W. wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:35 am

That's over 10 lbs of lifting, when someone starts to pour. By the end of the night your guests will be ripped in more ways than one. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

1 x 1985 Fonseca VP
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mike J. W. wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 4:06 pm 1 x 1985 Fonseca VP
nice!
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

1 x 1966 Dow VP
1 x 1980 Dow VP
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mike J. W. wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 3:00 pm 1 x 1966 Dow VP
1 x 1980 Dow VP
You're on a roll! [cheers.gif]
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Andy Velebil wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:36 pm
Mike J. W. wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 3:00 pm 1 x 1966 Dow VP
1 x 1980 Dow VP
You're on a roll! [cheers.gif]
I'm retiring in 18 months so I wanted to make sure I have a good selection that'll last me 30 years or so. I don't have a bottle of the '66 Dow, so I wanted to have at least one in my cellar. I now probably have about 8 to 10 bottles of the '80 Dow. It's a good one.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Mike J. W. wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 8:48 pm I'm retiring in 18 months so I wanted to make sure I have a good selection that'll last me 30 years or so. I don't have a bottle of the '66 Dow, so I wanted to have at least one in my cellar. I now probably have about 8 to 10 bottles of the '80 Dow. It's a good one.
I did something similar. I spent a few years between the children finishing university and retirement using my disposable income to build up my cellar to make sure I had enough wine / Port to keep me going for 30 years. 18 months in and so far, so good.
Bert VD

Post by Bert VD »

2x 2015 Crasto LBV
J Kristiansen

Post by J Kristiansen »

1 x Graham's Single Harvest 1994 4.5 L
1 x Graham's Single Harvest Tasting Kit (63, 74, 82, 90, 94)
1 x Graham's Blend No.5 Image

Big fan of Graham's - and especially the Single harvest collection

Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

J Kristiansen wrote:1 x Graham's Single Harvest 1994 4.5 L
1 x Graham's Single Harvest Tasting Kit (63, 74, 82, 90, 94)
1 x Graham's Blend No.5 Image

Big fan of Graham's - and especially the Single harvest collection
Well done. They’ve done a great job with the SHT collection. I’ve finally been slowly sipping on the 1994 SHT and it took a few days after opening before it totally came Together and has been Amazing. A 4.5L…I’m jealous!