TN: 2003 Imperial Extra Double Stout...a cool beer I found

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

TN: 2003 Imperial Extra Double Stout...a cool beer I found

Post by Andy Velebil »

So I found this at my local high end wine/beer store. Because it had a vintage on it and was "bottle conditioned" and I'm a beer lover too, I had to try it. Its brewed by Harvey & son, Sussex England. here is some info from their website.
Imperial Russian Stout 2000 Alcohol 9.0% vol.

Regarded as one of the World’s most unusual and prestigious beers. The recipe contains a dense concentration of varied malts and hops to produce a bottle conditioned stout. This brew will improve over six months to one year to develop its complexity. This beer has an intense flavour which is complex and distinctive. The roast, alcoholic and spicy notes combine in this unusually sweet & sour beer.

Very dark and thick...think motor oil and your on the right track. nose of dark chocolate, hops, and dry grass. The palate is very thick and creamy and has flavors of chocolate, expresso, mocha, and a touch of bitter hops on the back palate. THe finish has got to be the longest of any beer I've had, and pushes the 2+ minute mark. Quite the remarkable beer. 97 points.

Not sure how long you can age this, but I will have to go back and get more, if they still got some.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Gizzyeq
Location: NYC & Japan, New York, United States of America - USA

Post by Gizzyeq »

hehe beer tn thats new :lol:
too bad I've never been able to drink beer...4 sips and i'm heading to the bathroom to toss my cookies :x I've been looking for years to find one that I can stomach...no luck yet
akira
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Gizzyeq wrote:...4 sips and i'm heading to the bathroom to toss my cookies
I have no idea what this means :? , and not sure if I want to know :shock:
:lol: :lol:

Derek
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Bummer about not being able to drink beer...there is some great ones out there.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Gizzyeq

Post by Gizzyeq »

lol Derek it just means to throw up

I guess I seem to soak up odd phrases here n there :lol:
akira
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Gizzyeq wrote: Toss my cookies
Derek that is an old American phrase to...hurle, upchuck, give back to nature, vomit, launch, expell, and the like :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

At the civilised end of the Pond, we toss pancakes or coins!

Al,Ale,Al-D,
Who's bright idea was it to give them our language???
Come on, we're not leaving till one of you owns up!

Al.
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

Al,

Errmmmm... there are other things as well, but this is a clean site. I'm still getting over the fact that Corned Beef doesn't have any corn in it over there,

Al
I'm telling you - Port is from Portugal.
Otto Nieminen

Post by Otto Nieminen »

You'll have to try the Imperial Stout from the superb Norwegian brewer Nøgne Ø. Though it isn't vintage dated, it should last years. Though Nøgne Ø has become somewhat of a cult brewery, I do understand that they are imported into the US. If you ever come accross them, do report here how you liked the Imp Port!

-O-
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

KillerB wrote:Al,

Errmmmm... there are other things as well, but this is a clean site.
Al
Al(e),

That's the one I was afraid of :shock:

Derek
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Otto,

Thanks for the rec...I will try and see if it is sold around me.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Hey Akira,

I'm really pleased to find that there's someone else in the world who cannot stomach beer. I'm the same as you, half a glass and I'm heading to make a call on the great white telephone. :cry:

I've even tried Guiness on the Observation Deck at the Guiness Brewery in Dublin and had to give my pint away to someone else. :?

But the way I look at it - this means more opportunity to drink Port!

Alex
Gizzyeq

Post by Gizzyeq »

Wow Alex you too?! I've met a few others who can't drink beer but they were all non alcohol drinking type people

What were you doing at the Guiness brewery? hehe thats like a peanut allergy person visiting the Planters Peanut factory :lol:

For the longest time i've been wanting to find one I could drink....so that I could enjoy that timeless classic....having a beer with the guys lol...I always felt weird when everyone else was ordering a beer I was ordering like a Rum and coke heh
Hell yeah more port baby! woooo.....err too bad most normal bars don't have any port so that relegates us to huddle in some darkened back room to share a bottle of port
akira
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

Gentlemen,

As long as you get your round in, and your not first out of the taxi and last to the bar,
you can drink what you like! (unless its Creme de Menth with an umberella!) :roll:

Alan.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Someone who was a Guinness fan once said to me that if ever I was going to find a beer that I could drink and enjoy, then it would be the Guinness in Dublin.

So I tried it. It was horrible and had the same effect on me as any other beer drunk anywhere else in the world.

When I go out for a pint with the boys (or gels) I will drink cider. When I go out for a drink with Derek, I will drink the Krug that he turns down and follow that with the Dom Perignon that he doesn't want.

This before opening the six bottles of port that we took with us to the bar, where we huddled in a dark corner until 4 in the morning.

Alex