Summaries

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

D Lapassion

Summaries

Post by D Lapassion »

I find summaries like John's ( lbv 2011, ruby reserva) very interesting and informative. Does anyone else have any in their drawers? Merci!
John M.

Re: Summaries

Post by John M. »

1995s are often overlooked--a lot of good SQVPs and some VPs.
Attachments
1995 Vintage Ports
1995 Vintage Ports
1995 VPs.PNG (51.14 KiB) Viewed 3716 times
Any Port in a storm!
John M.

Post by John M. »

A couple members wanted to revisit this tasting from long ago.
Attachments
Ruby Reserve Redo
Ruby Reserve Redo
Ruby Reserve Redo.PNG (52.08 KiB) Viewed 3716 times
Any Port in a storm!
John M.

Post by John M. »

Smith Woodhouse VP's...the 1977 was an experiment on tasting order/palate fatigue and both "bottles" were from the same magnum.
Attachments
Smith Woodhouse VPs
Smith Woodhouse VPs
Port SW VPs.PNG (105.63 KiB) Viewed 3716 times
Any Port in a storm!
D Lapassion

Post by D Lapassion »

Very well.... Merci John!!
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

John M. wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:13 am A couple members wanted to revisit this tasting from long ago.
Interesting, I have almost opposite opinions of your results. Fonseca is my favorite, I think Taylor First Estate is the best [how is it so well blended and smooth!], and I won't drink Noval Black.

I've been trying to get my testing group to do a bracketed three part tasting tournament of Reserve Rubies like FTLOP did, but only four of us are 'regulars' and I'd prefer a few more people be involved. I may have almost had them set to schedule it when the world shut down.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

D Lapassion wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:10 am I find summaries like John's ( lbv 2011, ruby reserva) very interesting and informative. Does anyone else have any in their drawers? Merci!
There have been a handful of tastings published in the newsletter, but I do not have the issue numbers off the top of my head. Back issues of the newsletter are available to subscribers on the main page at ftlop.com under Subscribers -> Newsletter Downloads.
Glenn Elliott
John M.

Post by John M. »

Scheiny S wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:39 am
John M. wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:13 am A couple members wanted to revisit this tasting from long ago.
Interesting, I have almost opposite opinions of your results. Fonseca is my favorite, I think Taylor First Estate is the best [how is it so well blended and smooth!], and I won't drink Noval Black.

I've been trying to get my testing group to do a bracketed three part tasting tournament of Reserve Rubies like FTLOP did, but only four of us are 'regulars' and I'd prefer a few more people be involved. I may have almost had them set to schedule it when the world shut down.
Funny how that works. I've had the same experience (upside down opinions from mine). And when I find somebody I tend to agree with I really pay attention. The Fonseca Bin 27 seemed to score particularly poorly--it may have been an off bottle as I've drunk cases of it and its just a nice solid RR.
Any Port in a storm!
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

John M. wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:29 am Funny how that works. I've had the same experience (upside down opinions from mine). And when I find somebody I tend to agree with I really pay attention. The Fonseca Bin 27 seemed to score particularly poorly--it may have been an off bottle as I've drunk cases of it and its just a nice solid RR.
You probably remember our scores for the 2011 LBV tasting... we also had the Quinta do Crasto as the best 2011 LBV... which is a technicality because in our tasting the "ringer" which was the 2012 Quinta das Carvalhas won! And you guys had it last. :-)
Glenn Elliott
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

How do you do a Ruby Reserve tasting without Six Grapes? [shrug.gif]
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Moses Botbol wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:50 pm How do you do a Ruby Reserve tasting without Six Grapes? [shrug.gif]
The original Ruby Reserve Taste Off started as a comparison of Graham's Six Grapes and Noval's Black, as those were commonly thought to be the two best Ruby Reserves at the time. As happens, it rapidly grew to include a variety of Ruby Reserves and tastings were held in multiple locations across the US and even in London.

Each tasting tried to include both Six Grapes and Black, but not everyone could acquire it in time for their tasting.

The astonishing result from all of the original tastings was that in every tasting where it appeared, Taylor's First Estate either won outright or tied for the win. John's results above are from a re-do of that original taste-off.

Note - we've lost attached photos to many old posts and articles due to a recent hack. That's why there are no longer photos in the linked article. :(
Glenn Elliott
John M.

Post by John M. »

Here are the High Bridge results from the original Ruby Reserve Taste Off. The "Mystery" bottle was one glass each of the other 7 combined. (My nickname is "Big Love")
Attachments
Original Ruby Reserve Points Method.PNG
Original Ruby Reserve Points Method.PNG (107.02 KiB) Viewed 3649 times
Original Ruby Reserve 3-2-1 Method.PNG
Original Ruby Reserve 3-2-1 Method.PNG (96.84 KiB) Viewed 3649 times
Any Port in a storm!