July-August 2021 White Port WAIOA

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

John M.

July-August 2021 White Port WAIOA

Post by John M. »

We've not had one of these in ages--so thought let's resurrect the virtual tasting forum. For a few summers now I have been enjoying white Ports in the summer---quite refreshing. My favorites to date have been Portal 10, Q. DO Mourao 10 and Andresen. So I put forth any White Port With an Indication of Age---but really anyone will do.

Cheers!! And please drop a line and tell us about your wine.
Any Port in a storm!
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: July-August 2021 White Port WAIOA

Post by Glenn E. »

Great idea, John!
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Good idea. I’ll sort something and join in.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

I've been drinking a few bottles of Andresen white and started doing my Porto tonics too, mostly with Quevedo's white. But so far I prefer their Rosée for Tonic.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
John M.

Post by John M. »

San Leonardo 10 Year Old White Port: I bought a bunch of these in the Dec 2019 buying op, drank them all and bought more in Pennsylvania recently. Must say the decorative tube and bottle are quite handsome--good visual to start. Served somewhat chilled.

Lovely burnt orange color, thick legs as the wine is high on the viscous scale. Super nose--Grand Marnier comes to mind. The taste is awesome--simmered and reduced orange and tangerine, hints of almond & hazelnut paste finishing delicately with a note of butterscotch. So easy to drink--the bottle does not last long. Easily one of the better 10 Year Old Whites I've had.

To me, white Ports are ideal for summer enjoyment. Clean and crisp, served slightly chilled they are ideal on a summer night.

93 Points
Any Port in a storm!
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Well, with just three white Ports in the cellar, my choices are limited. I pulled a not-quite-qualifying 2005 Kopke Colheita Branco. It was tasty, nice acidity ... but I was busy enjoying it with some homemade saffron ice cream and meringue cookies and didn't take notes. I've since pulled an S.Leonardo 40 Branco for consideration.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Thank you Andy for nudging me and letting me know the VT thread was alive again.
Lamelas 10YO white bottled 2019
Lamelas 10YO white bottled 2019
B0AD6983-F5D1-4ED8-90F1-C03ECAF255E0.jpeg (170.33 KiB) Viewed 9197 times
I opened a bottle of Lamelas 10yo white today, it’s been warm (at least by UK standards) and there was a lot of work being done in the garden.

I love the Lamelas whites. This was my tasting note:

Quinta das Lamelas 10 year old white, bottled 2019 (50cl bottle): deep apricot-brown, 50% opaque. Dried mango and clover honey combine on the nose to give a sweet, floral but fruity combination. Sweet and honeyed on the palate, hints of caramelised orange on the thick palate. A bite of pepper from the acidity just about keeps the sweet palate balanced and adds some interest. Honeyed dried mango and white peppercorn finish. I love the Lamelas Aged Whites, they just hit my sweet spot of honey and fruit - for my palate these are my top choice. 91/100.
John M.

Post by John M. »

Great Note Al---awesome picture, too!!
Any Port in a storm!
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

I opened a Barao de Vilar 10 y.o. White Port. It's really quite good and only $17 a bottle (500 ml). It's a nice, light apricot color. It's pretty smooth for a 10 y.o. white with nice legs on it. Not much on the nose, but the taste is a nice combination of peach with faint tastes of caramel and butterscotch. A long, lingering aftertaste with good acidity. I've only ever seen it in one store, but if you come across it, I highly recommend it.

Side note: Al, that's a beautiful looking bottle and the background is nice as well. Unfortunately, I've never seen the 10 y.o. Lamelas White in the U.S.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Lamelas wines aren’t available in the UK either. I have to buy mine when I visit Portugal - but they are very much worth the effort.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

S. Leonardo 40 Anos White, TN here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=43598
And since we're posting photos ;-)
winos_july.jpg
winos_july.jpg (183.76 KiB) Viewed 9009 times
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

I did open a 20 Andresen and 1970 Quevedo this week. Both really good, served blind some guests thought the Quevedo was a 20 year old as the colour was looking young to them.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Kopke 20 Year White Port. B. 2021. A pale yellow with just a small hint of some brown lurking in the background. Not as vibrant on the nose as the 2003 Branco Colheita, Peaches and sandlewood. Less acidity perceived up front as it comes off heavier in feel. Yet it still has that succulent honey, toffee, dried peaches and then the acidity shows up later in the finish to freshen it up. I slightly prefer the 2003 Colheita Branco.
90 Points
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Glenn Elliott