1964 Krohn Colheita Branco

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Opened on my birthday. I believe this bottle is one of the ones that I did not acquire from Premier Cru, as IIRC those were all 2008 bottlings and this one is a 2007. This Port in general went through a down period during which it seemed that they were starting to get too much bottle age, but this bottle shows no such signs.

bottled 2007

Color: very clear, medium deep honey color tinted with "amber waves of grain".

Nose: rich and full, but not bold or powerful. Could almost be described as smooth. Honey, mixed tropical fruits including pineapple and banana, and maybe some orange blossom and very faint peach.

Palate: creamy, smooth, and elegant while still being quite rich. Medium full body. Complex tropical flavors that are hard to pick out individually, but with work one can recognize pineapple, possibly dried banana, and possibly pear and mango. Initially there's also a significant note of sultana (golden) raisins. There's a flavor that resembles cream cheese, but not nearly that strong as it's mostly a background note. Medium sweet, but with sufficient acidity to keep it in balance. Though I wouldn't call the acidity prominent - it's just enough to balance the sugars leaving this as a Port that presents as fairly sweet.

Finish: reasonably long and very pleasant, echoing the palate and nose.

Score: 93 points. I've had many bottles of this Port over the years - probably at least a dozen - and this is the best showing I can remember recently. It's not as lively as when first bottled, but it is now elegant and mature like a fine wine should be.
Glenn Elliott