How do you typically purchase?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Nick Mc

How do you typically purchase?

Post by Nick Mc »

How do you guys typically purchase? Retail? Distributor? Auction? Direct?
Eric Menchen

Re: How do you typically purchase?

Post by Eric Menchen »

All of the above.

But if I had to guess, maybe 1-5% direct from the producers in Portugal. I seem to make a trip about once a year and bring back 6 bottles. Distributor I would group with importer, and that would primarily be from the FTLOP Buying opPORTunities, which amounts to 12-18 bottles about once a year. Also, one year when I wanted to buy a case of something I contacted an importer who then put me in contact with a distributor and in turn a local store. I bought it from the store, but it wasn't something they normally stocked. They got the case from the distributor for me. In the category of retail, there is local b&m, which I buy a few bottles a year from, maybe 6-12; and then there is online. When all the 2011 VPs came out, I bought a whole bunch this way, ~5 cases. But in the past year, I haven't purchased much from online retailers. The majority of my buying has been auctions. I've bought from Christie's, Zachy's, Spectrum, TCWC, HDH, Acker, and even a few others in the past. In the last year, it has been primarily WineBid.com. Their prices are not the great bargains that they once were, and some people are buying above retail there, but I find the photos, service, and delivered quality to be good.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: How do you typically purchase?

Post by Glenn E. »

Most of my buying is through the internet (either large net-savvy stores or auctions), FTLOP buying opportunities, and direct from the producers. I buy very little from retail, and when I do it's usually only because it is on closeout and so at a steep discount.

Note that I separate internet stores from local b&m "retail" stores because the selections and prices are so vastly different. It is usually less expensive to order from a large internet store and pay shipping than it is to buy from a local b&m. That is partly because WA alcohol taxes are so high, but a big part of it is simply selection. You can pretty much find anything you want on the internet.
Glenn Elliott