What have you opened this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Eric Ifune

Re: What have you opened this week?

Post by Eric Ifune »

Krohn 20 year old. Old stumpy bottle.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

!974 Barros Colheita. Bottled 2014. Very nice.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I've got a 1994 Smith Woodhouse VP in the decanter for later. Really good dark color still and a lovely nose. Will get a TN up when I try it.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Andy Velebil wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:47 pm I've got a 1994 Smith Woodhouse VP in the decanter for later. Really good dark color still and a lovely nose. Will get a TN up when I try it.
It'll be interesting to see what you think. This showed really well at the tasting John M. had in November. It was easily the best '94 of the tasting.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mike J. W. wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:56 pm
Andy Velebil wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:47 pm I've got a 1994 Smith Woodhouse VP in the decanter for later. Really good dark color still and a lovely nose. Will get a TN up when I try it.
It'll be interesting to see what you think. This showed really well at the tasting John M. had in November. It was easily the best '94 of the tasting.
TN posted.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Andy Velebil wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:07 pm
TN posted.
Good note, Andy. I'm glad you had the same impression as John M. and I.
John M.

Post by John M. »

Mike J. W. wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:32 pm
Andy Velebil wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:07 pm

TN posted.
Good note, Andy. I'm glad you had the same impression as John M. and I.
Saw you TN Andy, that is essentially the same impression and score we had. An awesome Port!!
Any Port in a storm!
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

1986 Graham's Malvedos. It's very good.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mike J. W. wrote:1986 Graham's Malvedos. It's very good.
Yes it is.

I’ve opened a 1998 Cockburn’s Quinta dos Canais. A lovely balance of mature fruit without being old. Won’t make old bones but is a nice Thursday VP.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Andy Velebil wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:36 pm
Mike J. W. wrote:1986 Graham's Malvedos. It's very good.
Yes it is.

I’ve opened a 1998 Cockburn’s Quinta dos Canais. A lovely balance of mature fruit without being old. Won’t make old bones but is a nice Thursday VP.
[cheers.gif] [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

1992 Fonseca VP
This was from a 375, and when I removed the capsule, I saw that the cork had just leaked to the top. Upon decanting I found it was much more developed than I would expect. But when I tasted it, yes, it was much more developed, more like a 1977 or 1983, but ... a really good 1977 or 1983!
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric Menchen wrote:1992 Fonseca VP
This was from a 375, and when I removed the capsule, I saw that the cork had just leaked to the top. Upon decanting I found it was much more developed than I would expect. But when I tasted it, yes, it was much more developed, more like a 1977 or 1983, but ... a really good 1977 or 1983!
Good. Bad? At least you didn’t pour it down the drain.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Andy Velebil wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:10 pm Good. Bad? At least you didn’t pour it down the drain.
I wrote:
... a really good 1977 or 1983
I didn't take notes or score this last night, but it was probably in the 93-94 point range.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric Menchen wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:10 pm Good. Bad? At least you didn’t pour it down the drain.
I wrote:
I didn't take notes or score this last night, but it was probably in the 93-94 point range.
I was confused. Was there ever a “really good” 1983? ImageImage
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Andy Velebil wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:33 am I was confused. Was there ever a “really good” 1983? ImageImage
Perhaps I should have clarified that I'm in a small group that thinks there are some really good 1983 VPs.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Eric Menchen wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:35 am
Andy Velebil wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:33 am I was confused. Was there ever a “really good” 1983? ImageImage
Perhaps I should have clarified that I'm in a small group that thinks there are some really good 1983 VPs.
I'm in that group with you Eric. The '83 Graham's is especially good. Other than that, it's more of a year for 2nd tier names (SW, Gould, Offley Boa Vista etc.).
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Mike J. W. wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:02 am I'm in that group with you Eric. The '83 Graham's is especially good. Other than that, it's more of a year for 2nd tier names (SW, Gould, Offley Boa Vista etc.).
Graham's and SW were the first two that I thought of. And Gould Campbell is probably in that group, along with Ramos Pinto and Warres.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:33 am
Eric Menchen wrote:
I wrote:
I was confused. Was there ever a “really good” 1983? ImageImage
Yes! Ramos Pinto is really good, as are Graham's, Gould Campbell, and to a somewhat lesser extent Smith Woodhouse.
Glenn Elliott
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

I opened a DR Lot 70 Tawny Port for Yev from this year's Madeirathon.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Had a friend come by on Saturday and we had four bottles of vintage port, 1960 Taylor, 1963 Niepoort, 1963 Fonseca, and after we finished those went for a 1995 Vesuvio. Was kind of pissed opening the 1960 Taylor as we thought we did not try that before. Only to discover I had that bottle on "empty vintage port bottle" display in the cellar. I looked into some notes and that one was had in 2018. The first time on the '60 Taylor was British bottled, and I think this one was Portuguese bottled. Color was much different between the two, but both were great. '63 Niepoort and '63 Fonseca were top notch as always.

Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars