How long to decant -94 Graham for instance

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

WJ Evans

How long to decant -94 Graham for instance

Post by WJ Evans »

I stood a 94 Grahams 375 up in my cellar for a few hours. Wife got some cheese and such and off we go to enjoy, and I think, "hey, this probably needs to be decanted for a while."

I tried some immediately after decanting, and it was good, but since we didn't want to wait I used the iFavine isommelier rapid decant device she got me a few years ago and set it to an hour and a half, and I thought it was better.

In the future, if I'm doing a non forced air bubble decant (total sacrilege?), how long should I plan to leave a 90s vintage port in the decanter?

What about something younger like an '07 or '11?
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: How long to decant -94 Graham for instance

Post by Andy Velebil »

1994’s from top vintages around 8-10 hours is a good bench mark.

The younger ones mentioned, 12-24 hours would probably be about right.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Totally agree with Andy, the one thing I’ll add is that if you have a lot of 375mls, they often mature more rapidly than their full size (or jumbo size) cousins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Brad

WJ Evans

Post by WJ Evans »

Bradley Bogdan wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:25 pm Totally agree with Andy, the one thing I’ll add is that if you have a lot of 375mls, they often mature more rapidly than their full size (or jumbo size) cousins.

I'm guessing I'm about 80% 375s. Mostly purchased those for two reasons. First, hoping, to drink them sooner, since I've started late in cellaring port. Second, most of the time it's just my wife and I, and 375's are nice to have a couple glasses.

After decanting, put back in the cellar for the 8 to 24 hours, or room temperature?

Thanks guys, really appreciate the advice.
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

375s are great! I wish I saw them more often for nicer stuff in my neck of the woods, exactly for the reasons you mentioned. As for temp, once you decant it’s a game of physics, the warmer the wine is, the more air interaction you’re gonna get. I prefer decanting at cool room or cellar temp, partially to make sure I’m not slowing the process, and partially because then it’s at a good drinking temp when it’s game time without extra work. I do tend to throw leftovers in the fridge to slow the process after the first evening (if there’s any left ;-) )

-Brad

Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Like Bradley, I put it back into the cellar because that's the temperature I want to start drinking it at.