What have you opened this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Jonathan S

Re: What have you opened this week?

Post by Jonathan S »

-2016 Quinta do Vesuvio VP (1/10/2022)
-1997 Smith Woodhouse VP (2/7/2022)
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Jonathan S wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:14 pm -2016 Quinta do Vesuvio VP (1/10/2022)
-1997 Smith Woodhouse VP (2/7/2022)
How's the '97 SW?
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

S. Leonardo 30 y.o. White. Delicious and gone in a flash.

Next up will be a Warre's Otima 20 y.o. Tawny.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Mike J. W. wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:22 pm Next up will be a Warre's Otima 20 y.o. Tawny.
That will be gone in a flash too [beg.gif]
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Thomas V wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:51 pm
Mike J. W. wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:22 pm Next up will be a Warre's Otima 20 y.o. Tawny.
I wasn't expecting a lot, but it's actually pretty decent. I'd buy it again.
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Mike J. W. wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:59 am
Thomas V wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:51 pm
I wasn't expecting a lot, but it's actually pretty decent. I'd buy it again.
I have had it numerous times as the Danish importer are friends of mine. I like that is fairly aged (as the colour reveals) and very delicate. The 20YO is nice too as well as the 2 newcomers in the tawny line of Warre's namely the 1995 and 2006 colheitas.

Glad you liked it.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

1987 Kopke Colheita (375 ml) bottled 2013

I had 2 cases of these and have been opening them for our anniversaries. Valentine's Day was when we started dating in 1986, and we were married in July of 1987. They're holding up very well in bottle, though I'm definitely drinking these first before I start tapping into my stash of 1987 Graham's Malvedos and 1987 Porto Souza since those can just keep getting better in bottle while I drink the tawnies. :lol:
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

2015 Graham’s LBV
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Quevedo 50 year old white for the Superbowl.
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Eric Ifune wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:45 pm Quevedo 50 year old white for the Superbowl.
Very nice! I had the 1974 Colheita, this recent bottling is so elegant!
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
John Pluta

Post by John Pluta »

I opened a lesser known port, a Feist 1995. Boy was it good, had fruit and it went down very well. Still in the fridge with a wine stopper in it.

One problem I had was with the cork and I couldn't get it out. All my ports are older than the Feist, so I bought an Ah-So puller and I'm still learning how to use it. I saw the one with the added screw on it but at $150 it's a bit dear for me.
LOUISSS J

Post by LOUISSS J »

A small Dow LBV 2011 (375ml). Wow!
Quite a surprise. Very good! Anything from 2011 is sublime to me.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Tonight I'm trying out a 1977 Ferreira VP. It's pretty nice. I'll leave a tasting note in the next few days.
Jasper A.

Post by Jasper A. »

A Ramos Pinto 1983 Vintage Port. Realy positive suprised about this port!
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

I was able to compare all the 2019 release from Noval, the wines are evolving nicely compared to when I last tasted them in summer 2021.
The Noval's are really elegant with great lenght of aromatics and fine tannins while the Passadouro is more open and generous at the moment but definitively shorter on the palate.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

NV S. Leonardo 30 Year Old Tawny Port

One of Kari's cousins was in town, so one of her uncle's hosted a game night and I brought this to share. Everyone loved it!
Glenn Elliott
John M.

Post by John M. »

2002 Warres LBV

Evident evolution and the color was bricking. Have one more and after this will not open for at least 5 years--maybe 10.
Any Port in a storm!
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

1994 Croft VP. Dark purple, somewhat strong tannins and very fruit driven. At 28 years old, it still needs another 5 to 7 years to reach it's full potential.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Krohn 30 year old.
Randy Katz

Post by Randy Katz »

Mike J. W. wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:10 pm
Eric Menchen wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:24 pm
Glenn E. wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:43 pm That's a nice pair of 68s, how did they compare?
Both were good, but the Krohn was the clear winner to me. Both were relatively old bottlings (2008 for the Krohn, 2010 for the Andresen), and the Andresen was cloudy despite having some time to settle after being stood up. I didn't score them at the time, but maybe 92 for the Andresen and 95 for the Krohn? (I presume you're asking about the Ports. The other four 1968s were very good as well. Surprisingly, not a bad bottle in that lineup.)
I'm glad to hear that about the Krohn's. I recently picked up 2 of the '68's that were also bottled in 2008 and have yet to try one. I'll probably crack one open next fall when I have a Colheita tasting with some friends. We're going taste a bottle from each decade from the 1930's through the 1980's.
I have those '68s and usually prefer the Andresen. B-Day year for me and my wife. Same bottling year on the Krohn. Had the BV Special Burgundy as well in 2018 and it was quite impressive.

If you open a Krohn '68 and it is cloudy, run it through cheesecloth or even layered paper towns in a funnel. Once clear and aired out for a couple of hours, it is far better.