Porto Rocha The Glorious 50th Anniversary Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Porto Rocha The Glorious 50th Anniversary Port

Post by Andy Velebil »

It’s probably been a decade or more since I’ve last had this. From a .375ml bottle and I think bottled around 2000 (but I’m not totally sure). This has lost some of that lovely bright acidity it had in youth. Yet it still retains vibrant butterscotch, toffee, citrus zest, and some nice fresh honeysuckle on the finish. Still a lovely drink but isn’t up to par from its early days in bottle. If you still have some, while no major rush, drink on the sooner side than later.
91 Points.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: Porto Rocha The Glorious 50th Anniversary Port

Post by Glenn E. »

Bottled in roughly 2000 sounds about right. Something tickling at the back of my brain is saying it might have been 2002? Or that might have been the 2nd bottling of the 150th Anniversary. Who knows? :lol:

It's probably been 8-10 years since I've had one of these, too. I remember them being very nice at first, but then I did notice them start to decline once they started getting too much bottle age. Same with the Three Centuries and 150th Anniversary. The definitely didn't have the bottle aging longevity that I normally find in sister company Kopke's tawnies.
Glenn Elliott
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

I've not had the Glorious 50th, but I do have 5 bottles (500 ml) remaining of the Three Centuries (out of 6 purchased). The first bottle was really nice.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mike J. W. wrote:I've not had the Glorious 50th, but I do have 5 bottles (500 ml) remaining of the Three Centuries (out of 6 purchased). The first bottle was really nice.
Those are probably holding up a little better than this one in the freshness department. But don’t wait too terribly long to enjoy yours.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Agreed. I've been opening up my Three Centuries recently and they are very ready and super delicious. GO FOR IT! :D