1980 Dow Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

John Danza
Location: Naperville, Illinois, United States of America - USA

1980 Dow Vintage Port

Post by John Danza »

• 1980 Dow Porto Vintage - Portugal, Douro, Porto (2/16/2022)
    From magnum. Double decanted five hours before service. Some eucalyptus on the nose. Dark red with no sign of color loss. Completely balanced. Hardly any alcohol heat. Chocolate and dark fruits on the palate. Still very youthful with decades of life ahead of it. In this format, it'll easily go another 40 years. Really easy to drink. An incredible wine. It may not be a perfect port, but it's damn close. (99 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
John Danza
Mike J. W.

Re: 1980 Dow Vintage Port

Post by Mike J. W. »

I love this Port. It's a smooth drinking Port and as you said amazingly youthful for a 42 year-old. I'm always on the lookout for more bottles.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

It's a great VP. You can never have too much of the 1980 Dow VP in your cellar.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

David Spriggs wrote:It's a great VP. You can never have too much of the 1980 Dow VP in your cellar.
If one could find them…not easy these days.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Andy Velebil wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:36 am
David Spriggs wrote:It's a great VP. You can never have too much of the 1980 Dow VP in your cellar.
If one could find them…not easy these days.
+1
I have but one bottle. I have three of the 1980 Warres, which also can be excellent in my experience.
John Danza
Location: Naperville, Illinois, United States of America - USA

Post by John Danza »

I have a number of 1980 ports, but alas, this magnum was my only bottle of 1980 Dow.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

I have at least a half dozen of these in my cellar, maybe more. I need to organize my cellar and get it all on a spreadsheet so I know exactly what I have as far as these go.

They haven't been overly hard to find in auctions. I try to grab them whenever I see them.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mike J. W. wrote:I have at least a half dozen of these in my cellar, maybe more. I need to organize my cellar and get it all on a spreadsheet so I know exactly what I have as far as these go.

They haven't been overly hard to find in auctions. I try to grab them whenever I see them.
I think someone needs to make a trip out west. :)
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Andy Velebil wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:15 pm
Mike J. W. wrote:I have at least a half dozen of these in my cellar, maybe more. I need to organize my cellar and get it all on a spreadsheet so I know exactly what I have as far as these go.

I actually lived in northern Cali for 4 years in the early 00's. My son just moved to LA, so I'll be out there to visit once in awhile. I can always bring a bottle. :D
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mike J. W. wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:15 pm

I actually lived in northern Cali for 4 years in the early 00's. My son just moved to LA, so I'll be out there to visit once in awhile. I can always bring a bottle. :D
Let me know when you’re headed out this way and I’ll set something up.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Mike J. W. wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:15 pm I think someone needs to make a trip out west. :)
LA is an easy flight from Seattle!
Glenn Elliott
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Glenn E. wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:58 am
Andy Velebil wrote:
Mike J. W. wrote:
LA is an easy flight from Seattle!
You're on! :D
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

I just picked up 2 more of these at auction last night.