Taylor Fladgate 1970 Auction : need advice

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

LOUISSS J

Post by LOUISSS J »

I juts saw some bottles in Auction and by seeing the condition of the bottles i'm not sure if it's worth it.
I'm asking for the lot 395 and 396 (Taylor Fladgate 1970). If there is just one bad bottle in the lot that's okay for me.
Do you think it's risky? Too risky?

https://www.waddingtons.ca/auction/fine ... wdbuI9OMfQ
Eric Ifune

Re: Taylor Fladgate 1970 Auction : need advice

Post by Eric Ifune »

What are your concerns? I can't see levels in the photos. Messy capsules and selos don't bother me.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

It is hard to find 1970 VP in pristine condition. Worth the risk? That depends on the price. I wouldn't pay US$200 each for those, but if I were looking, I would entertain a low bid. The estimate ranges don't seem out of line to me. I would like to know fill levels if possible. If those are good, I'd be willing to pay more than I would just based on the photos.
LOUISSS J

Post by LOUISSS J »

Eric Ifune wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:09 pm What are your concerns? I can't see levels in the photos. Messy capsules and selos don't bother me.
Yes that's what worried me. I'll try to know the level of the bottles.
And i do not often see TF70 at less than 300$ (CAN$). So at 200$ (CAN) each it would be okay for me.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

The Taylor 1970’s appear to have a lot of old leakers in them. Some of them are not an original release but a later release from ex-cellars. As such they should not be in that condition by now (exclude the green wax as it’s very brittle and always breaks off with the slightest wind). I’d prob pass as 1970’s can still be found in good shape.

To me the 1966 Sandeman appears to be the better buy.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

The estimate seems high to me, but lot 393 contains a couple of gems that most people have never heard of, let alone tasted. 1970 Kopke Quinta Sao Luiz is a fantastic Single Quinta Vintage Port. But the lot also contains a "mere" 1987 Kopke VP, so the 3-bottle estimate of $400-$600 seems out of proportion to the other estimates provided. (Though considering that these estimates are probably in CAD, that's not a bad price at all.)

Worth a look, though, especially if no one else is bidding because they've never heard of it.
Glenn Elliott
LOUISSS J

Post by LOUISSS J »

Thanks everyone. :salute:
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Lot 399 is the most interest to me. I don't believe I have had of the ports in the lot. No other reason than that.

Good luck on your bidding and let us know how you make out! [cheers.gif]
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Moses Botbol wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:28 am Lot 399 is the most interest to me. I don't believe I have had of the ports in the lot. No other reason than that.

Good luck on your bidding and let us know how you make out! [cheers.gif]
That was the one that I liked as well. The Avery's 1963 Special Reserve was a blend of the 1963 Ports from Taylor's, Fonseca and Sandeman. The blend was 1 part Taylor's, 2 Parts Fonseca and 3 Parts Sandeman.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
LOUISSS J

Post by LOUISSS J »

I tried for the 5 Taylor Fladgate 1970. I wanted to have them for a little less than 250$ CN each but it goes for 265$.
I'm not too disappointed. There will be more lots... and 1970 Taylor Fladgates in better condition!