What Port(s) have you purchased this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: What Port(s) have you purchased this week?

Post by Andy Velebil »

Lucas S wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:16 pm I'm fairly new to port and trying things out. Short term goal is assemble a horizontal tasting, probably 2016 LBVs.

2017 Maynard's Port LBV
Maynard's Port Colheita Special Edition - Single Harvest 2012
2016 Niepoort LBV 375ml
2016 Kopke Port LBV
2016 Quinta de la Rosa LBV 500ml
2016 Quinta Do Noval LBV Single Vineyard
2015 Quinta Do Crasto LBV
NV Quinta da Romaneira Fine Ruby

This is what I was able to put together (from Saratoga). I spent several hours on wine-searcher digging for retailers for LBVs and it was very difficult to find one retailer with a good selection of LBVs that would ship. Trying to buy sevearal "mid-market" LBV like a Ferreira or S&W or even Sandeman in the US seems difficult and often an overpriced $35. I may have to get wine-searcher PRO for a month to see the rest of the results, but for now I'll give a few of these a try and probably drive to NJ to pick up the Symington LBVs that are available there and a Taylor's.

Edit: added on these from EmpireWine
2008 Warre's LBV
2015 Quinta do Infantado LBV
2014 Quinta da Romaneira LBV
2014 Quinta Do Noval LBV
2016 Niepoort LBV Port (bought twice)
2016 Dow's LBV
2016 Taylor Fladgate LBV

And for funsies:
2017 Bogle Vineyards Limited Release Petite Sirah Port
2019 Barnard Griffin 'Columbia Vly' Syrah Port
Montevina Terra d'Oro Zinfandel Port

I would still like to obtain Fonseca, Graham's, Sandeman, Cockburn's, S&W, Ferreira, Ramos Pinto to round out the majors. There are others that interest me but those I may have to see about ordering from Portugal.
Nice list and would make a fun tasting.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
LOUISSS J

Post by LOUISSS J »

2X Taylor Fladgate Vintage 1997
5X Gould Campbell 1997
1X Cockburn's 1997
1X Vesuvio 2000
1X Quinta da Leda 1990 : Maybe a little old but probably a good experience. I didn't find a lot of information about this Port...
Jonathan S

Post by Jonathan S »

Lucas S wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:16 pm I'm fairly new to port and trying things out. Short term goal is assemble a horizontal tasting, probably 2016 LBVs.

-----

I would still like to obtain Fonseca, Graham's, Sandeman, Cockburn's, S&W, Ferreira, Ramos Pinto to round out the majors. There are others that interest me but those I may have to see about ordering from Portugal.
I see that you just joined. Welcome, Lucas! Enjoy those LBVs! [cheers.gif]
Jonathan S

Post by Jonathan S »

Scott Esterly wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:11 pm A 375ml sampling was just delivered. FexEx ground shipping was extremely prompt, but the box was delivered to me upside down and it was obvious as soon as I opened the box all the sediment had gone to the neck/cork area. I hope that hasn't harmed the VP.

1970 Taylor
1977 Gould Campbell
1983 Graham's
1983 Dow's
1985 Gould Campbell
1992 Fonseca
1994 Dow's
Nicely done! Great assortment there! [cheers.gif]
Jonathan S

Post by Jonathan S »

8/2

1997 Dow VP 375 mL (x7)

8/26

1994 Dow VP 375 mL (x4)
1992 Fonseca VP 375 mL (x2)
Scott Esterly

Post by Scott Esterly »

IMG_9036.jpg
IMG_9036.jpg (463.7 KiB) Viewed 2292 times
Just delivered...My birth year! I was bummed I wasn't born in a vintage year, but discovered a few SQ VPs we produced from 1984 (Dow's Quinta do Bomfim being one). I picked up three bottles of this (also my wife's birth year so I'm hoping we have some friends/family over to sample it during a birthday celebration).
Jonathan S

Post by Jonathan S »

Scott Esterly wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:39 am Just delivered...My birth year! I was bummed I wasn't born in a vintage year, but discovered a few SQ VPs we produced from 1984 (Dow's Quinta do Bomfim being one). I picked up three bottles of this (also my wife's birth year so I'm hoping we have some friends/family over to sample it during a birthday celebration).
There you go! That bottle is from the earlier years of the Bomfim SQVP releases, as they began back in 1978.

I also was not born in a vintage year (1976), but my wife was (1983). We were married during the epic vintage year of 2011, so I try to pick up 2011 VPs whenever I get a chance. [cheers.gif]
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Jonathan S wrote:
Scott Esterly wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:39 am Just delivered...My birth year! I was bummed I wasn't born in a vintage year, but discovered a few SQ VPs we produced from 1984 (Dow's Quinta do Bomfim being one). I picked up three bottles of this (also my wife's birth year so I'm hoping we have some friends/family over to sample it during a birthday celebration).
There you go! That bottle is from the earlier years of the Bomfim SQVP releases, as they began back in 1978.

I also was not born in a vintage year (1976), but my wife was (1983). We were married during the epic vintage year of 2011, so I try to pick up 2011 VPs whenever I get a chance. [cheers.gif]
While not widely known, Bomfim releases started earlier. They’re is a 1970 and some back to the 1960’s. Mostly for the Scandinavia countries IIRC who got a very small shipment.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jonathan S

Post by Jonathan S »

Andy Velebil wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:58 pm
While not widely known, Bomfim releases started earlier. They’re is a 1970 and some back to the 1960’s. Mostly for the Scandinavia countries IIRC who got a very small shipment.

Wow, Andy! Good call! A well-known publication on Port lists the first release of Bomfim as 1978 and Senhora da Ribeira as 1998. However, a quick search on Wine-Searcher turned up a 1977 - wait for it... released in a Scandinavian country -- and a 1965.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and correcting the record. :thumbsup:
Lucas S

Post by Lucas S »

I went to Newark today where Mike JW previously mentioned some portuguese wine shops.

The one listed on yelp as "Oporto Wines" still has an old Andresen LBV btw in one of the lower shelves, I think '92 and I didn't buy it.

What a weird, liquor style store. It would seem that they are under new management since the name is not Oporto on the sign and they must have inherited a boatload of VPs behind the counter. I think this because they oddly have no LBVs in stock except a handful of bottles of older ones, its all VPs/Tawnies at normalish prices. I feel like if you went in there and made a bulk offer to the manager, he would unload cases of the stuff.

I bought a 1991 Martinez VP in 375ml (last one) and a Niepoort Crusted (hell yes!, 2014 bottling) for $27 each.

They still have a Crusted or two left. They also have Brazilian Cachaca (Velho Barreiro 1L) for a dirt cheap $14 which is pretty hard to find in America.

The "Lisbon" store down the street is nicer with its own dusty Port cellar, they have a dozen different LBVs at good prices out front and lots of Colheitas and some old mixed VPs at retail prices. Also have cases of somewhat newer VPs in OWCs stacked up high. I was a bit concerned at how warm it was in there though.

At that one I picked up
2015 Ferreira LBV
2015 Calem LBV
2012 Dalva LBV
2015 Barros LBV
2007 Barros VP 375ml (my father wanted to get a VP there so I got us a small one to try and it was either this or an older Calem)
Andresen 10 yo White Port

Ferreira and Calem LBVs are seemingly impossible to find elsewhere so I was very pleased to find several of them nicely stacked up. They also had 08 Woodhouse LBVs for $30 which I'll probably go back for at some point.

At Total Wine,
2017 Graham's LBV
2017 Quinta das Carvalhas LBV
2016 Martinez LBV
They had a ton of variety like Osborne as well, but it was kind of overpriced.

And 2015 Fonseca LBV at a supermarket, so now my LBV buying spree is over for the time being.
Last edited by Lucas S on Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
All is fair in love and Warre's
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

You made some nice scores there, Lucas. Oporto is a quirky store in that their prices are all over the place. I buy mostly aged LBV's there from the 90's. The Andresen '92 is a good LBV although their '95 LBV is much better (I bought the last ones there). They also have some Taylor's and other LBV's from the '90's. The VP's are overpriced for the most part. They also have some Colheitas, but again, pretty pricey.

The Lisbn store is good too. They have that caged area in the back which I think you were referring to. Again, some odd ball Ports, but some interesting ones as well. They also have some Andresen Colheitas as well as Barros, Dalva and Kopke colheitas. They have a rack with about 6 1910 Andresen Colheitas, but they want stupid money for them.

There's also another store around the corner from the Oporto store called Lou's Corner Liquormart. They have a few interesting LBV's and some TWAIOA and VP's.

Maloco Liquors in Newark also has some good Ports and Colheitas. If they have the Barao de Vilar 1990 Colheita (bottled 2021) or the 1985 Barros Colheita (bottled 2015) there I would HIGHLY recommend you pick one or both up.

Right around the corner from Maloco is LBV Cellars. They have a decent selection in the back and they also have some tucked away on the side to the right when you go past the register. I believe they might have had the 1985 Barros Colheita as well tjere.

Finally, there's a store in East Newark called Alex's Liquor & Deli. Tucked in the back of the store is their Port selection. They have a little bit of everything. Prices are really all over the map, but you can find some good deals, especially on LBV's.
Last edited by Mike J. W. on Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Lucas S

Post by Lucas S »

Great to know Mike, thank you. I was surprised to see the variety in the area.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Lucas S wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:49 am Great to know Mike, thank you. I was surprised to see the variety in the area.
There are a lot of Portuguese and Brazilians in that section of Newark, hence the stores and variety. it's known as the Ironbound section of Newark. Lots of good ethnic restaurants around there as well.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Red Aaron

Post by Red Aaron »

Just getting started in this game, and learning, growing a collection a bit. Interested to know how people feel about Colheitas vs older vintage bottlings.

Bought a Bottle of Warre's Warrior that is from 2008 from a friend's father. I know its nothing special but interesting that its an old bottling.
Osborne 2004 LBV
1970 Maynards Colheita Bottled 2021
Red Aaron

Post by Red Aaron »

Lucas S wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:47 pm I went to Newark today where Mike JW previously mentioned some portuguese wine shops.

The one listed on yelp as "Oporto Wines" still has an old Andresen LBV btw in one of the lower shelves, I think '92 and I didn't buy it.

What a weird, liquor style store. It would seem that they are under new management since the name is not Oporto on the sign and they must have inherited a boatload of VPs behind the counter. I think this because they oddly have no LBVs in stock except a handful of bottles of older ones, its all VPs/Tawnies at normalish prices. I feel like if you went in there and made a bulk offer to the manager, he would unload cases of the stuff.

I bought a 1991 Martinez VP in 375ml (last one) and a Niepoort Crusted (hell yes!, 2014 bottling) for $27 each.

They still have a Crusted or two left. They also have Brazilian Cachaca (Velho Barreiro 1L) for a dirt cheap $14 which is pretty hard to find in America.

The "Lisbon" store down the street is nicer with its own dusty Port cellar, they have a dozen different LBVs at good prices out front and lots of Colheitas and some old mixed VPs at retail prices. Also have cases of somewhat newer VPs in OWCs stacked up high. I was a bit concerned at how warm it was in there though.

At that one I picked up
2015 Ferreira LBV
2015 Calem LBV
2012 Dalva LBV
2015 Barros LBV
2007 Barros VP 375ml (my father wanted to get a VP there so I got us a small one to try and it was either this or an older Calem)
Andresen 10 yo White Port

Ferreira and Calem LBVs are seemingly impossible to find elsewhere so I was very pleased to find several of them nicely stacked up. They also had 08 Woodhouse LBVs for $30 which I'll probably go back for at some point.

At Total Wine,
2017 Graham's LBV
2017 Quinta das Carvalhas LBV
2016 Martinez LBV
They had a ton of variety like Osborne as well, but it was kind of overpriced.

And 2015 Fonseca LBV at a supermarket, so now my LBV buying spree is over for the time being.
How is the Quinta Das Carvalhas LBV I have the 2017 LBV and after t asting their little four bottle taster I'm wondering if their offerings are any good overall.
Lucas S

Post by Lucas S »

Haven't had it yet, am holding off on the 2017s for now until more of the LBVs hit the US market.

Bought two 12-cases this week:
2000 Warre's VP
2000 Ferreira VP

My VP collection has officially begun with the millennium vintage. [cheers.gif]
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Phil W wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:29 am
Al B. wrote:4 x Kopke 50yo White
2 x Kopke 50yo tawny

Both are brilliant blends. Both are sold out. Both are way underpriced compared to their competition.
I haven't even had the chance to taste these yet (though keen to do so), never mind make purchasing decisions, and they're sold out already? Bah!
Kopke have sold out ex-cellars but there are still bottles in the distribution chain. In the UK there are a few retailers still offering them.
Red Aaron

Post by Red Aaron »

A 2003 Fonseca Colheita bottled in 2017
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

My haul from PHT2.
Kopke 50 year old.
Kopke 50 year old white.
Kopke 1966 Colheita.
Brunheda 1906.
San Leonardo 1948, mother of the 40 year old.
San Leonardo 1972, mother of the 30 year old.
Quinta de Santa Eufemia 30 year old white.
Vasconcellos 40 year old.
Vista Alegre 1969 Colheita.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Lucas,

Those 2015 LBV's you mentioned are excellent. Then again 2016 and 2017 are also fine years for LBV's. No rush to drink them either, especially the ones marked Unfiltered.

Eric,
Nice list. Those Kopke 50's are both excellent and great prices we were offered.
I have yet to open my wine suitcase yet to see my full stash. [shrug.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com