Sediment in Port, especially Vintage Port

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Sediment in Port, especially Vintage Port

Post by Roy Hersh »

What have you learned over the years, drinking Vintage Port when it comes to sediment? I guess it can be other types of Port too. LBV is the category after VP with the most sediment of course, but what other Ports do you find sediment.

Let's get more specific:

Is there a relationship between the amount of sediment in the younger years or even the moment the sediment begins to form and the development or aging of Vintage Port?

Can anything be determined by the quantity or type of sediment, when it comes to the quality or development of the Port?

Is there a difference between the type of sediment that is flaky vs. dusty particulate? Do you find this varies with the age of the VP?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Re: Sediment in Port, especially Vintage Port

Post by Frederick Blais »

Nice question Roy, I feel that the only way to answer it properly would be able to taste the same wine everyday for 50 years and measure precisely the amount of sediments we are getting out from a bottle.

The only part I feel has not been spoke about enough is how sediments, mostly lees, are keeping the Wine/Port in a reductive state, helping it to slowly and beautifully age.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I've found that when I find sediment in a tawny Port or colheita, the wine is often a bit stale tasting. Now is this because of the sedimentation, or a corresponding issue because it has been in bottle for a good while?
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric Menchen wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:13 am I've found that when I find sediment in a tawny Port or colheita, the wine is often a bit stale tasting.
The very fine sediment in old tawny's...agree. I was told by a producer when it's stirred up, which is very easy to do, and goes cloudy it does diminish the taste.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Andy,

What did they say the reason for this is, beyond it getting stirred up?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Randy Katz

Post by Randy Katz »

Experienced that a few times. Triple filtering in cheesecloth, coffee filter or even white bounty paper towels can remove the cloudiness and the muddiness of the tawny's.