possible 1945 port, producer/shipper unknown

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: possible 1945 port, producer/shipper unknown

Post by Roy Hersh »

I also believe the last digit is a "5" but right now, time is not something I have much of.

So, I apologize if some, or most, or any of these have already been mentioned, but this off the top of my Port head, before going to sleep. More names in Port that bottled using stencils, (are we going to do Madeira next? [shrug.gif] ):

Vista Alegre

Meneres

Feist

Quinta do Tedo (and also their Savedra)

The Douro Wine Shippers & Growers Association, LDA

Rocha

Messias

Porto Souza

Niepoort

Barao de Vilar

Real Ca Velha
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bert VD

Post by Bert VD »

i bought it.
the seller told me about their family wine business. at some point they had 7 wine shops in Brussels and then the supermarkets started taking over. they satrted downsizing an at some point sold off all their remaining stock (i didn't get the date of this). their main business was bourgogne wines; the classics and they also bottled larger imported quantities.

this is one of the few leftovers. (there was a 1947 Corton Bourgogne in the cupboard as well) they probably couldn't sell it back in the day because it was missing the shippers name. it was always kept in their cellars in good conditions. the fill leven is just above shoulder. no signs of leakage. the wax seal has broken away a bit on the sides.
there is nothing extra i can find that points at the name of the shipper. i think i will stick to 'possible Barros'.
even though it was advertised as a 43, the paper it was wrapped in had 1945 written on it so it quite possibly is, as expected, a 45.
the bottom of the bottle has R.L. 47 embossed in the glass. if that is the production date of the glass it makes sense for a 45 vintage as well.

i got this bottle for 200€. i think i got a fair deal.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Bert VD. With a bottle in the condition you described and at that age, I would have taken a chance at 200€ as well. I hope it turns out to be a nice, pleasant drinking Port for you. Do you have any plans as to when you might try it?
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Bert VD wrote:i bought it.
the seller told me about their family wine business. at some point they had 7 wine shops in Brussels and then the supermarkets started taking over. they satrted downsizing an at some point sold off all their remaining stock (i didn't get the date of this). their main business was bourgogne wines; the classics and they also bottled larger imported quantities.

this is one of the few leftovers. (there was a 1947 Corton Bourgogne in the cupboard as well) they probably couldn't sell it back in the day because it was missing the shippers name. it was always kept in their cellars in good conditions. the fill leven is just above shoulder. no signs of leakage. the wax seal has broken away a bit on the sides.
there is nothing extra i can find that points at the name of the shipper. i think i will stick to 'possible Barros'.
even though it was advertised as a 43, the paper it was wrapped in had 1945 written on it so it quite possibly is, as expected, a 45.
the bottom of the bottle has R.L. 47 embossed in the glass. if that is the production date of the glass it makes sense for a 45 vintage as well.

i got this bottle for 200€. i think i got a fair deal.
Quite curious to see what is on the cork. When you open, do let us know.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com