Maynard’s 40 Year Old Tawny Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Maynard’s 40 Year Old Tawny Port

Post by Andy Velebil »

Maynard’s 40 yr tawny (b. 2016). Barao de Vilar is parent company, per back label. A darker brown cola than most in the category. Profile is more “Portuguese” with a touch more fruit profile. There is an odd note that can best be described as “dirty” and reminds me of old Casa do Douro stocks that were not well cared for while in cask. A semi sweet profile of dried dates, toffee and coffee. Rather simple overall with some protruding spirit. A rather poor showing for something so old. If this was a 10 yr tawny it would be decent for the class. How this passed the IVDP as a 40 year old is beyond me. There is nothing that comes close to resembling a 40 yr tawny. It does come in a nice package/bottle design though.
84/100

Tasted over two days with no change.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Maynard’s 40 Year Old Tawny Port

Post by David Spriggs »

Oh No! What a colossal disappointment!
Mike K.

Re: Maynard’s 40 Year Old Tawny Port

Post by Mike K. »

Oh, that's a shame. I've been able to source this in the pst for around $50. Each of the bottles I've had were solid, but not excellent. But at that price point, I was always happy.