2003 Rozes LBV

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Lucas S

2003 Rozes LBV

Post by Lucas S »

Since it is likely about to sell out on WineBid, I decided to PnP this one (am bidding on a replacement bottle).

True bright red when up against the light, and like the 2000 Rozes VP is also cloudy. Was an easy pour, the sediment wanted to stay in the bottle. Roughly 60% opacity (Am not good at grading this just yet).

Aroma: sour cherry with a hint of cumin - pleasant.

Slightly spicy on palate on entry, but also silky smooth and not spirity, the tannins are well-resolved here.

Black cherry and simply cherry dominant overall. Its a bit perfumy, and has a light tropical fruit character to it like the 2000 VP which I'm guessing is the Rozes style, but this is more ripe papaya and cocoa (and is better) than the zesty VP. Finally, there is some lovely oak detected here - the kind of oak flavor found in bourbon which works really well with the cherry.

Probably not good enough to buy a case of it, but it’s sufficiently good in its own unique way. It should hold more years but is nearing peak. 91

+24 hrs: tannins awoke and still a bit spicy, but this very well-integrated now and showing its sweetness. I thought I was being a bit agressive yesterday with the 91 pts but this merits it, as its in a really great spot. Still a bit cloudy. A unique Port.
All is fair in love and Warre's