Vintages... Best?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Moses Botbol

Re: Vintages... Best?

Post by Moses Botbol »

Thomas V wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:42 pm Tier 1: Taylor's > Graham's > Noval > Fonseca > Warre's > Dow's > Vesuvio

Tier 2: Sandeman > Niepoort > Croft > Ramos Pinto > Ferreira > Smith Woodhouse > Gould Campbell > Cockburn's > Quarles Harris

Tier 3: Romaneira > Alves de Sousa, Vale de Maria > Churchill's > Quevedo >Vieira de Sousa > Delaforce > Offley > Portal
I would not put Vesuvio as Tier 1. They may look incredible in the case, but it's not in the same league as your other Tier 1's, IMO.

I would elevate Niepoort to Tier 1 like @Tom Archer mentioned. Romaneira (at least in my locale) should be Tier 2.

Good luck where I live finding any of your Tier 3 picks for VP beyond Delaforce.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Moses Botbol wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:10 am
Thomas V wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:42 pm Tier 1: Taylor's > Graham's > Noval > Fonseca > Warre's > Dow's > Vesuvio

Tier 2: Sandeman > Niepoort > Croft > Ramos Pinto > Ferreira > Smith Woodhouse > Gould Campbell > Cockburn's > Quarles Harris

Tier 3: Romaneira > Alves de Sousa, Vale de Maria > Churchill's > Quevedo >Vieira de Sousa > Delaforce > Offley > Portal
I would not put Vesuvio as Tier 1. They may look incredible in the case, but it's not in the same league as your other Tier 1's, IMO.

I would elevate Niepoort to Tier 1 like @Tom Archer mentioned. Romaneira (at least in my locale) should be Tier 2.

Good luck where I live finding any of your Tier 3 picks for VP beyond Delaforce.
Hi Moses

I didn't change my Tier rankings from the post quite a while ago in an other thread which was quoted here. I just re arranged within the tiers based on my experience to their current market cost across vintages.

As for Vesuvio in tier 1, I am biased as it is one of my favourite brands. But I confess that they probably do not have the longevity as the other tier 1 houses.

I disagree about Niepoort trading at the same prices on release as the Tier 1 ports. In Denmark the 2015 was around $65 on release. That is what the SQ cost from the other Tier 1 houses basically.

I agree that Romaneira should be bumped up one tier. Since they got their new winery and replanted their stuff has increased dramatically in quality. Basically since the late 2000's in my mind.

Sad that you can't get a hand on the likes of Portal, Alves de Soua, Vieira de Sousa, Quevedo and others. It is a real treat to be able to buy those ports. A few years ago a Danish importer sold 2011 Portal VP at a fair for $18 a piece. That was just nuts!!! Still to this day they are very affordable.

Just recently I got my hands on 2 x 2011 Alves de Sousa at $55 each. I believe Roy gave that port 97p. Been looking for it for a while.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Thomas V wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:10 pm Sad that you can't get a hand on the likes of Portal, Alves de Soua, Vieira de Sousa, Quevedo and others. It is a real treat to be able to buy those ports. A few years ago a Danish importer sold 2011 Portal VP at a fair for $18 a piece. That was just nuts!!! Still to this day they are very affordable.

Just recently I got my hands on 2 x 2011 Alves de Sousa at $55 each. I believe Roy gave that port 97p. Been looking for it for a while.
Portal is spotty distribution and promotion around the States, but is more common than the others. Alves de Sousa; never seen locally. Odd as Portuguese named ports and wine sell well here. We have most concentrated Portuguese and Brazilian communities outside of their native countries in MA & RI. My town is over 30% Brazilian. Some towns in MA are 40% Portuguese. Quevedo is not sold locally and would do really well.

I have some of all the ports mentioned.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Moses Botbol wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:26 pm
Thomas V wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:10 pm Sad that you can't get a hand on the likes of Portal, Alves de Soua, Vieira de Sousa, Quevedo and others. It is a real treat to be able to buy those ports. A few years ago a Danish importer sold 2011 Portal VP at a fair for $18 a piece. That was just nuts!!! Still to this day they are very affordable.

Portal is spotty distribution and promotion around the States, but is more common than the others. Alves de Sousa; never seen locally. Odd as Portuguese named ports and wine sell well here. We have most concentrated Portuguese and Brazilian communities outside of their native countries in MA & RI. My town is over 30% Brazilian. Some towns in MA are 40% Portuguese. Quevedo is not sold locally and would do really well.

I have some of all the ports mentioned.
Over the past 4 or 5 years, I was able to snag a half doze of the 2011 Alves de Sousa from various B&M stores. I haven't seen any in a little while. What I have seen pop up is their 2009 vintage, but it's a little pricey. I've seen a few Portal LBV's around (I have a couple of their 2013) and you can find their 10 and 20 year old Tawnies, but that's about it.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes