What does this paper seal say

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Le Gamin de Paris

What does this paper seal say

Post by Le Gamin de Paris »

Hi folks

Can anyone tell me what these letters and numbers represent?
Sercial.jpg
Sercial.jpg (234.66 KiB) Viewed 1245 times
Thanks
Andy M
Yev Nyden

Re: What does this paper seal say

Post by Yev Nyden »

I was wondering about the same thing after I got one of these off. I think the first row refers to the law 75/79 passed in April of 1979 (https://dre.tretas.org/dre/210087/decre ... 6-de-abril), which could help with dating the bottling year. Is it a selo from one of Justino's bottles purchased at Christie's last year by any chance? I was very curious about the bottling year of that madeira as I have acquired a few of those lots. There was a forum thread somewhere where we were trying to nail it down.
IVM - Justino.jpg
IVM - Justino.jpg (205.78 KiB) Viewed 1230 times
Le Gamin de Paris

Post by Le Gamin de Paris »

Hi Yev, sorry I forgot to reply to say thanks

No it wasn't a selo from Justinos, it was a Henriques & Henriques bottle from 70s/80s
Andy M
Yev Nyden

Post by Yev Nyden »

No problem.

I was reading this wonderful article this morning - https://www.fortheloveofport.com/the-id ... guarantee/ - and the follow up comments, and wondered if there was a similar write up on madeira seals.
Mario Ferreira

Post by Mario Ferreira »

"Dec Lei" stands for "Decreto-Lei", in english "Decree Law", followed by the law's number and its year of publishing in the Official Gazette.

As per the picture, that specific legistation was published in the year of 1979.