What Port(s) have you purchased this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Frederick Blais

Re: What Port(s) have you purchased this week?

Post by Frederick Blais »

Burmester 40 Tawny bottled 1990
Burmester 1989 Colheita bottled 1997
Ferreira 20 years old Duque de Bragaça bottled 1991

I'm a big fan of bottled aged Tawnies, I never had the Ferreira before with so many years, it should be popped soon. When I can get those oldies cheeper than the new release, it is a no brainer.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

1 x 2015 Ramos Pinto LBV
1 x 2016 Niepoort LBV
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Scott Esterly

Post by Scott Esterly »

Warre 2017 VP
A.S. Demka

Post by A.S. Demka »

1x Fonseca 1963
A.S. Demka

Post by A.S. Demka »

1x Fonseca 1963 VP
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

1964 Burmester LBV, bottled 1969.

I'd never even heard of this before seeing it online, so I snatched it right up. Only $48... plus $32 shipping! :lol:
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

1964 Messias LBV, bottled 1969
1964 Gonzalez Byass Vintage Port

The latter is listed in The Book as "Produced, possibly Sold" with only a single reference, so I didn't have high hopes for finding one. But I found a shop in the Netherlands who had both of the above and they'll be on their way next week!
Glenn Elliott
Lucas S

Post by Lucas S »

1995 Quinta do Crasto VP x6 $31.5/ea all-in

John & Mike, lmk if you want a pair later.
All is fair in love and Warre's
Scott Esterly

Post by Scott Esterly »

One each...

Delaforce Vintage Port 1994
Dow Vintage Port 2007
Ferreira Port 2000
Fonseca Vintage Port 2007 375ml
Graham`s Vintage Port 2007
Quinta do Infantado Vintage Port 1992 375ml
Quinta De Vesuvio Vintage Port 1997
Smith Woodhouse Vintage Port 2000
Taylor (Fladgate) Vintage Port 2000 375ml
Taylor (Fladgate) Vintage Port 1997 375ml
Taylor (Fladgate) Vintage Port Quinta de Vargellas 1995
Warre's Vintage Port 2000 375ml
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

2 x 1990 Presidential Colheitas a my local supermarket. Marked down to $30 each. I grabbed em fast and paid as quick as possible. 0.75cl and bottled in 2021. Doesn't get much better than that for a 30 year old port.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

1 x 2012 Niepoort LBV
1 x 2014 Magalhaes LBV
2 x 2014 Quinta da Romaneira LBV
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Glenn E. wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:40 pm 1964 Messias LBV, bottled 1969
1964 Gonzalez Byass Vintage Port
These arrived today, and the mystery of the 1964 Messias LBV has been solved.

It's not an LBV. It's a Colheita. (It says "envelhecido em casco" on the back label which means "aged in cask.") I'm not sure where the store got that it was bottled in 1969, because on the back label it says it was bottled in 1987. (Engarrafado em 1987.) The date is very very faint, but with a strong flashlight and my reading glasses I can just make it out. I very much doubt that it could be mistaken for 1969. I'm happy to have the Colheita for the price of an LBV, though!

I also note that the font used on the bottle of the 1964 Gonzalez Byass looks suspiciously similar to the font used on my 1964 Butler Nephew and my empty bottle of 1964 Vasconcellos. The paper label on this one clearly says it was produced and bottled by Gonzalez Byass, though, so who knows?
2023-02-03 12.33.43.jpg
2023-02-03 12.33.43.jpg (279.14 KiB) Viewed 2492 times
Glenn Elliott
A.S. Demka

Post by A.S. Demka »

Last week I ordered 4 bottles Fonseca Guimaraens 2019 from a well respected portwine shop here in The Netherlands.
To my surprise the order was confirmed with the remark: to be sold/delivered in 2030.
I called the shop and they stated that Adrian Bridge had decided to delay the delivery until 2030, to avoid speculations.
A weird story, what is the rationale of this?

I am puzzled, could anyone help me here with some additional information?

Kind regards, Alle de Muinck Keizer
Lucas S

Post by Lucas S »

That's nonsensical. Why would anyone speculate on FG19, in particular?

Even that is true from Adrian Bridge, which seems crazy, I would still cancel that order asap.

If they refuse, chargeback; 8 years may as well be an eternity. Just buy Ports at auction.
A.S. Demka

Post by A.S. Demka »

Thanks for your reaction, Lucas.

The portwine shop are honest people, they have repaid my downpayment and have just sent me 'proof' of their statement, see: http://www.fonseca.pt/en/news/fonseca-t ... tage-port/
The House of Fonseca is to release a 2019 Vintage Port under the Guimaraens label. Managing Director, Adrian Bridge, commented: "I am delighted that 2019 has produced a Vintage Port of such excellent quality. This Port shows density and structure, with an impressive depth." He adds: "We have decided to keep the wines in our cellars to mature and will release them in the next 8-10 years. Customers can currently purchase the Fonseca Guimaraens 2018 that is still widely available."
UNQUOTE

And yes, I normally buy my Ports at auctions, but this was the only seller of Fonseca Guimaraens 2019 on Winesearcher.com

I am still confused.....
Lucas S

Post by Lucas S »

Ok they want to bottle-mature it, that at least makes sense. There's probably an unstated business reason behind it as well, like smoothing out the supply after the bonanza of 4 consecutive good years in the prior vintages.

Just picked up a rare 1987 Morgado for $32.78, CellarTracker notes seem upbeat about it.
WineBid also had '95 and '99 Hutchesons which are evidently even more rare, but I didn't take the plunge because there is no TNs for it that I can find and they're made by Feuerheerd.
There was a nice load of magnums added to WB last week as well, including SW77 and G85s so keep an eye out for those.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

A.S. Demka wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:39 am Thanks for your reaction, Lucas.

The portwine shop are honest people, they have repaid my downpayment and have just sent me 'proof' of their statement, see: http://www.fonseca.pt/en/news/fonseca-t ... tage-port/
The House of Fonseca is to release a 2019 Vintage Port under the Guimaraens label. Managing Director, Adrian Bridge, commented: "I am delighted that 2019 has produced a Vintage Port of such excellent quality. This Port shows density and structure, with an impressive depth." He adds: "We have decided to keep the wines in our cellars to mature and will release them in the next 8-10 years. Customers can currently purchase the Fonseca Guimaraens 2018 that is still widely available."
UNQUOTE

And yes, I normally buy my Ports at auctions, but this was the only seller of Fonseca Guimaraens 2019 on Winesearcher.com

I am still confused.....
Doesn't matter how honest you think a retailer is, there is no way I'd give money to any retailer almost a decade ahead of when bottles are to be delivered. Way too much could happen during that time, to the retailer or to you.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

They shouldn't even have the Port available for purchase on their website. It hasn't been released yet, just produced. I doubt they can even order it yet from their importer or from TFP themselves.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Lucas S wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:11 pm There was a nice load of magnums added to WB last week as well, including SW77 and G85s so keep an eye out for those.
Yes, I saw those and am tracking a bunch, but didn't put in any bids on Sunday. I'll probably bid on the SW77, as that is one of my favorites.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Eric Menchen wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:47 pm
Lucas S wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:11 pm There was a nice load of magnums added to WB last week as well, including SW77 and G85s so keep an eye out for those.
Yes, I saw those and am tracking a bunch, but didn't put in any bids on Sunday. I'll probably bid on the SW77, as that is one of my favorites.
SW '77 is really good. It's probably one of the best of the vintage. I have plenty of bottles of this in my cellar.