Beginner Questions

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Daniel Mattisson

Beginner Questions

Post by Daniel Mattisson »

I am a relative beginner to all things Madeira - I've tried it a couple of times but at the time didn't realize the various types/styles.

I'd like to buy a few bottles to get kind of a "crash course" on Madeira. The "historical" series at RWC sound from their descriptions as a good place to start, particularly if I'm looking for a cheaper way to try vintage madeira. Is this a good assumption?

So lets say I am open to spending $300-400 total to purchase 3-6 bottles of varying styles. Any suggestions on what to get? I'd like to try something on the sweet and dry side. Any good US retailers other than the RWC to recommend? I would also be more than happy to buy a bottle and join in a tasting if in the Philly area - not sure if there's enough people from around there to make that happen though.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Daniel
Moses Botbol

Re: Beginner Questions

Post by Moses Botbol »

Broadbent has the best under $100 Madeiras on the market IMO. Blandy's Alvada is good, as is D'Oliveiras (I think 10 year). I would start off the Historic series; drinking from dry to sweet. I like all the styles of Madeira, but not everyone does. The Historic series horizontal sounds like a good idea actually! I am going to run it by a few people locally to see if they want to do one too. Thanks for the idea!
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Marco D.
Location: Milford, Connecticut, United States of America - USA

Post by Marco D. »

If I am not mistaken, I think the Rare Wine Company sells a set of four half-bottles of their various Historic Series Madeiras, which would be a cost effective way to sample the various styles.
Marco DeFreitas Connecticut, USA
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Colheitas also are a good introduction.
The Rare Wine Co has a number by Barbieto.
Daniel Mattisson

Post by Daniel Mattisson »

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to pick up 2 bottles of the historic series (is it strange that other companies have better prices than RWC?) - the Verdhelo and the Boal. I'll go from there.

If looking for vintage madeira with some age on them - is auction the way to go? Are the prices at RWC reasonable? Not many stores seem to offer a good selection of vintage stuff.

Thanks!

D
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Daniel Mattisson wrote:If looking for vintage madeira with some age on them - is auction the way to go? Are the prices at RWC reasonable?
RWC's prices are reasonable and at auctions, Madeira is going for all the money.
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

Can we update this for recommendations ten years later? My boyfriend is looking to spend about the same amount, around $300 for 3-6 bottles.
He's specifically looking for sweet.
He's in the DC area buying in- store unless anyone has other suggestions. We'd also check out Madeira bars in the area if there are any.

We just tried Rare Wine Company New York Malmsey and H.M. Borges 20 Year Malvasia. We prefer the RWC.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Scheiny S wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:41 pm Can we update this for recommendations ten years later? My boyfriend is looking to spend about the same amount, around $300 for 3-6 bottles.
He's specifically looking for sweet.
Look for D'Oliveira or H&H Boal or Malmsey Madeiras. Both are done in a rich style.
Scott Esterly

Post by Scott Esterly »

I never see Madeiras in the store but got lucky today and found a Blandy’s 10 year malmsey- this will be my first time trying Madeira when I open it. Looking forward to it.
Daniel Fraley

Post by Daniel Fraley »

I've really enjoyed the 15 year Borges series, around $55 each and they are super solid. I haven't tried the Sercial though. I've gone up to the 20 year, but the QPR wasn't there for me. Can't go wrong with the 15, it's our 'house' madeira now. https://www.bassins.com/ ships and I've found their prices to be very competitive. Welcome to the world of madeira!