What have you opened this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: What have you opened this week?

Post by Glenn E. »

Moses Botbol wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:15 am Noval Black and Six Grapes are our my go to's.
Those 2 were the inspiration for the Ruby Reserve Taste-Off back in 2012. There were 6 tastings held around the world during that event. It's been 10+ years now, maybe it's time to do another one?

TL;DR the pretty clear winner worldwide was - surprising everyone - Taylor's First Estate. It won every tasting in which it appeared, and these were all held blind!

Noval Black and Graham's Six Grapes ended up splitting their head-to-head appearances, each winning 2 of them and then tying for a 5th.
Glenn Elliott
Lucas S

Post by Lucas S »

Moses Botbol wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:15 am Interesting. Thanks for the ranking. We don't discuss ruby reserve rankings much.

I've been leaning towards ruby reserve over LBV's recently. Noval Black and Six Grapes are our my go to's. Had 25+ year old Six Grapes that showed terrific. Plenty of bottle aging potential.
I've been tasting LBVs properly, side-by-side and blind, but the ruby reserves I'm drinking one at a time non-blind so do take the rankings with a grain of salt.
GSG is probably the one that can age the most for sure and is solid. I enjoyed the flavor profile of the QVDM and Sandeman a bit more, but they will age a bit less. All of them I would define as enjoyable, even the Bin 27 was better the next day.
Glenn E. wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:35 am Those 2 were the inspiration for the Ruby Reserve Taste-Off back in 2012. There were 6 tastings held around the world during that event. It's been 10+ years now, maybe it's time to do another one?
That sounds fun. That's a long time and one might expect different results.

I had read that thread before looking for recommendations, the First Estate and Warre's Warrior are on my to-try list. Unless I searched winesearcher improperly, it seemed to me that Kopke Reserve Ruby was EU only. I also looked for the Dow Trademark Reserve and it seems a bit hard to come by relative to the others, at least here on the east coast. I am also intrigued by the SW Lodge Reserve and Portal 27 Grapes, which can be found. There are so many solid ports to try. Darn those liver and wallet bottlenecks!
All is fair in love and Warre's
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

2003 Offley Boa Vista VP
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Glenn E. wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:35 am [Those 2 were the inspiration for the Ruby Reserve Taste-Off back in 2012. There were 6 tastings held around the world during that event. It's been 10+ years now, maybe it's time to do another one?
Fantastic idea! :D
John M.

Post by John M. »

My Port Club in New Jersey would LOVE another Ruby Reserve taste-off....right in the Club's wheelhouse.
Any Port in a storm!
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Opened is one way of putting it... This morning's tragedy. Not sure what to replace it with for tonight...

Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Moses Botbol wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:53 am Opened is one way of putting it... This morning's tragedy. Not sure what to replace it with for tonight...
:(
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Moses Botbol wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:53 am Opened is one way of putting it... This morning's tragedy. Not sure what to replace it with for tonight...
Yikes! Yeah that's definitely a tragedy. :(
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Ugh tragic. How did that happen?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Perfectly matured for my palate half bottle of Vargellas 2005. Ripe, floral and complex!
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Scott Esterly

Post by Scott Esterly »

Frederick Blais wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:15 am Perfectly matured for my palate half bottle of Vargellas 2005. Ripe, floral and complex!
I just ordered one of these from Benchmark. Very much looking forward to tasting it!
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Andy Velebil wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:21 pmUgh tragic. How did that happen?
Knocked it over when it was on the ground moving OWC's around. [dash1.gif]
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Damn! That is a shame.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

At a port weekend this week I opened bottles of Warre 1963, Graham Malvedos 1965 and a half bottle of Kopke 50yo White.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Ah yes, and a magnum of Dow 1977 last Monday.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

To replace the broken '48 Graham VP, it was a '58 Martinez VP and '37 Ramos Pinto Colheita. Both were superb. :clap:
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

2015 Graham LBV - a cellar defender doing its duty.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

A bottle of the 1964 Krohn branco for visiting relatives.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

2013 Quinta Da Pacheca LBV.
Scott Esterly

Post by Scott Esterly »

1991 Graham's VP. I loved it!
334854582_6109165505813067_5731529366132159699_n.jpg
334854582_6109165505813067_5731529366132159699_n.jpg (58.25 KiB) Viewed 2443 times