decanters

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

eguth

decanters

Post by eguth »

Moderator's note: This thread started as a Tasting Note, but rapidly evolved into a discussion on decanters. The original TN is preserved in the TNDB but the decanter discussion has been moved here.

2003 Croft Vintage Port
6 hour decant [Hersh Method].
Being a naughty boy, I did not follow Roy's advice to get a cheap non-lead decanter. Instead, I toyed with the idea of a carafe. Why not? After all, the receptacle is not closed during the decant. Instead, I opted to for an empty port bottle as the decanter.

- ruby/purple
- nose: cinnamon & cloves
-flavour: medium sweet chocolate + mild cinnamon
-long

Come share my Port and a piece of aged Stilton...the magnificent
experience.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: decanters

Post by Andy Velebil »

2003 Croft is an amazing VP. Glad you enjoyed it!

I have used a carafe many times and when I don't have a decanter works just fine. Honestly, decanters are really about the look on the table. There is no reason to spend a ton of money on them. I the average price of all of mine is less than $20 each. Wait for some to go on sale then snatch them up.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Andy Velebil wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:09 amThere is no reason to spend a ton of money on them. I the average price of all of mine is less than $20 each. Wait for some to go on sale then snatch them up.
Back when Bed Bath & Beyond was a legit business with stock in their stores, I picked up a couple of Libbey decanters there, and I think I paid $10 each. Searching now, it looks like the best price for something is around $15 at Walmart, and $20 at Amazon. I have a few fancy decanters that I love, but I've also chipped some fancy ones too. You can do fine without spending a lot of money.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I have 6 decanters, and the only 1 that cost more than $30 was a fancy Riedel version that I got for half price when a store was going out of business.

My favorite is a simple Wine Enthusiast (I think) decanter plus metal funnel/filter. It was $30 for both the decanter and the filter, and I use the filter every time I decant something so it's been a great value.

4 of my decanters were given to me, 2 of which were found at an estate sale and the seller had no idea what they were so gave them to my mother-in-law who gave them to me.

I have occasionally needed more than 6 decanters, though, and have used both a water pitcher and a (well washed) glass flower vase. Really anything made out of glass or other food-safe material can sub in for a decanter in a pinch. There's no need to pay for an expensive decanter unless you just want a show piece.

Speaking of which... I'd love to get a nice hogget-style decanter some day! I have a few that I'm eyeing...
Glenn Elliott
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I've a bunch of expensive decanters, but I never use them.
I like chemistry 1000ml flat bottomed Florence flasks. I got mine from Amazon for about $18.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Eric Ifune wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:00 pm I like chemistry 1000ml flat bottomed Florence flasks. I got mine from Amazon for about $18.
Come to think of it, I have a 2000 ml Erlenmeyer flask that I could use. They run about $20 or so.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I think Florence flasks look cooler than Erlenmeyer flasks. :lol: 8--)
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Eric Ifune wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:08 pm I think Florence flasks look cooler than Erlenmeyer flasks. :lol: 8--)
That's because they're basically "hardened" decanters. Round body, long neck, typically holds 1 liter... yeah, that's a decanter!
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Glenn E. wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:42 pm
Eric Ifune wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:08 pm I think Florence flasks look cooler than Erlenmeyer flasks. :lol: 8--)
That's because they're basically "hardened" decanters. Round body, long neck, typically holds 1 liter... yeah, that's a decanter!
But a 2l Erlenmeyer flask is more like a ships' decanter, with higher surface area for the liquid. And they can be used for propagating beer yeast. :scholar:
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Eric Menchen wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:49 pm
Glenn E. wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:42 pm
But a 2l Erlenmeyer flask is more like a ships' decanter, with higher surface area for the liquid. And they can be used for propagating beer yeast. :scholar:
:thumbsup:
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I have two decanters for port. Both are early 19th century. One is often used for tawny or the house port that we are drinking. The other is usually for a "that day" VP.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
John M.

Post by John M. »

I have 8 primary decanters. 6 I got for $16 each online (think Andy V had the suggestion). Nice wide mouths. Work very well.

The other two are a basic crystal, very wide bottoms. Love them--my everydayers.

I've got a couple fancier cut glass crystal ones but they are heavy, the necks are too narrow (both for pouring in and out!) and hard to invert to let dry out. (To dry decanters have a 1 x 5, drilled holes and inserted a piece of dowel so they will stay safe upside down).
Any Port in a storm!
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

John M. wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:27 pm (To dry decanters have a 1 x 5, drilled holes and inserted a piece of dowel so they will stay safe upside down).
Great idea. I broke a decanter during a meal when I knocked it off of my dish drying rack. A wood rack with dowels would be easy to make, and since the dowels can just be pressure fit in the assembly, it would be easy to store disassembled.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

I generally just use hot water (our tap water is ~140 F) to rinse/wash so that the glass or crystal of the decanter gets hot, then sit them on the counter at a slight angle so that the remaining water drains into a small puddle. After a minute or two that can be poured out and then the warm decanter will dry quickly just sitting there.
Glenn Elliott
Scott Esterly

Post by Scott Esterly »

Glenn E. wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:12 am I generally just use hot water (our tap water is ~140 F) to rinse/wash so that the glass or crystal of the decanter gets hot, then sit them on the counter at a slight angle so that the remaining water drains into a small puddle. After a minute or two that can be poured out and then the warm decanter will dry quickly just sitting there.
This is also what I do, except I'm able to take advantage of the drying rack (pictured below) that we got a few years ago when our son was born. This drying rack has gone from holding baby bottles to my decanters :lol:
71+DEaXnwBL._SL1500_.jpg
71+DEaXnwBL._SL1500_.jpg (102.76 KiB) Viewed 1698 times
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I own a decanter rack like this. Best ~$15 I’ve ever spent.

https://www.iwawine.com/40-103?gclid=EA ... gIQePD_BwE
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John M.

Post by John M. »

Andy--that is mightly nice and I just ordered one. Here is what I have been using (MacGyver version) in pictures:
Attachments
20230304_094637_resized.jpg
20230304_094637_resized.jpg (206.97 KiB) Viewed 1660 times
20230304_094644_resized.jpg
20230304_094644_resized.jpg (179.02 KiB) Viewed 1660 times
20230304_094707_resized.jpg
20230304_094707_resized.jpg (192 KiB) Viewed 1660 times
Any Port in a storm!