What Port(s) have you purchased this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Eric Ifune

Re: What Port(s) have you purchased this week?

Post by Eric Ifune »

Glenn E. wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:47 pm
Eric Ifune wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:39 pm
Eric Menchen wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:55 am
Good to know. While a one time thing, one has to wonder if they might do another "one time thing" for the 50th anniversary.
I'm thinking probably yes. Maybe another enamel label with 50 on it?
I don't think that's legal? It's either a Colheita with a year on the label, or it's a 50-year old (the new category) which can then say '50' on the label.

Not sure how that would all work if they did a 1974 Colheita "bottled in celebration of the 50th Anniversary of the revolution" or something like that. Then they might be able to get away with it.
I meant to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the revolution. It's still the 1974.
Lucas S

Post by Lucas S »

Has anybody ever bought a Magnum off WineBid and know how shipping for those work? Does it become the equivalent of 1/3rd of a case and ship with regular 750mls or what?

Btw, they had a huge influx of Ports this week, normally it's around 200 results if you search for Port, this week it's 577 (although there are some non-Ports in the results).

I'm not buying at the moment but there's lots of good stuff this week: several 6pks of '94 Vesuvio, $40 2011 Niepoort, 3x '11 GST and 1x'16 GST, some interesting 375ml bottles, and six '77 SW Magnums.
All is fair in love and Warre's
John M.

Post by John M. »

Lucas S wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:20 pm Has anybody ever bought a Magnum off WineBid and know how shipping for those work? Does it become the equivalent of 1/3rd of a case and ship with regular 750mls or what?

Btw, they had a huge influx of Ports this week, normally it's around 200 results if you search for Port, this week it's 577 (although there are some non-Ports in the results).

I'm not buying at the moment but there's lots of good stuff this week: several 6pks of '94 Vesuvio, $40 2011 Niepoort, 3x '11 GST and 1x'16 GST, some interesting 375ml bottles, and six '77 SW Magnums.
I've never had an issue with shipping with them. But of concerned, give them a call. Generally mags I've won at auction come in a one off box. 375's tend to be in regular cases.
Any Port in a storm!
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

John M. wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 4:09 am
Lucas S wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:20 pm Has anybody ever bought a Magnum off WineBid and know how shipping for those work? Does it become the equivalent of 1/3rd of a case and ship with regular 750mls or what?

I've never had an issue with shipping with them. But of concerned, give them a call. Generally mags I've won at auction come in a one off box. 375's tend to be in regular cases.
I second what John said. Any Mag I've won has always come in a separate box even if I've won regular size bottles at the same time. I did win a Mag. of '77 Warre from Winebid and that's how it arrived.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Mike J. W. wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:23 am I second what John said. Any Mag I've won has always come in a separate box even if I've won regular size bottles at the same time. I did win a Mag. of '77 Warre from Winebid and that's how it arrived.
I'll third. I can't recall having ever had multiple magnums shipped from them at the same time.

I'm foomench here, foomench on winebid.com, and put in several bids on the new Portuguese stuff this week. I still need to bid on one of those '94 Vesuvio 6-packs, and maybe some more Crasto wines, maybe some S. Leonardo ... still thinking about which of those to get.
John M.

Post by John M. »

2 @ 1980 Gould Campbell (375mm)
1 x 1997 Ferreira
1 x 1983 Ferreira Quinta do Seixo
2 x 1985 Gould Campbell

At auction. Lost out on 1995 Fonseca Guimaerens - hope it went to a good home.
Any Port in a storm!
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

1 x 1975 Andresen Colheita (bottled 2011)
1 x 1980 Andresen Colheita (bottled 2012)
1 x 1989 Messias Quinta Do Cachao SQVP (Not a good year for Port, but it was cheap, the bottle was in good shape and it's a bit of a novelty)
1 x 2004 Ramos Pinto LBV (I think RP makes great LBV's)
2 x 2013 Barao de Vilar LBV (very inexpensive and good)
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

1952 Kopke Porto Colheita
S. Leonardo Porto 40 Year Old Tawny
S. Leonardo Porto 60 Year Old Tawny
1977 Smith Woodhouse Porto Vintage (magnum)
2011 Vinhos Oscar Quevedo Porto Vintage (375)

These were all on winebid.com. Apparently I should have gotten my bids in earlier on the 1994 Vesuvio. I watched it for days and nothing was happening. Then on Sunday there were bids on all of the cases. I have some in the cellar, so I didn't feel like getting into a bidding war. I also picked up some Mourão and Crasto non-Port wines, but that's a different forum topic.
A.S. Demka

Post by A.S. Demka »

2x 0,375 Kopke 50 yo white, bottled in 2022
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

7 x 1985 Fonseca VP
4 x 1977 Gould Campbell VP 1.5l (is it possible to have too many of these? I now have 11...)
3 x 1980 Gould Campbell VP
4 x 1983 Gould Campbell VP
2 x 6 x 1994 Quinta do Vesuvio VP in OWC

Like Eric, also all from Winebid. There's more there this week, too, but I'm pretty close to out of space.
Glenn Elliott
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Lucas S wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:20 pm Btw, they had a huge influx of Ports this week, normally it's around 200 results if you search for Port, this week it's 577 (although there are some non-Ports in the results).
Those wines are from my cellar, and there is more this week. I didn't want to sell them, but I didn't have a lot of options. If the description says: "Removed from a subterranean, temperature and humidity controlled residential cellar", then it's almost certainly from my cellar.
Mark L

Post by Mark L »

Best of luck with the Auction, David!

I sincerely hope it goes well for you.
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Mark L wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 8:04 pm Best of luck with the Auction, David!

I sincerely hope it goes well for you.
Thank you!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

6 bottles of 2002 Krohn Colheita for $25/each.
3 bottles 2009 Niepoort Colheita.
1 of 2017 Vallado LBV (unfiltered I think, has driven cork)
1 of 2016 Pedroncelli “Four Grapes” Vintage Portfrom Dry Creek Valley in Sonoma, California. 19%abvade from Sousao, Tinta Madeira (aka Tinta Negra Mole) Tinta Cao and Touriga (doesn’t say which Touriga). At $17 worth the risk to try it.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I was able to obtain a 1982 and the just released 40 Year Old Tawny Port, both bottled by the Confraria do Vinho do Porto.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Scott Esterly

Post by Scott Esterly »

I just did a winebid auction for the first time. I started very small. Two bottles of:

2011 Taylor VP (375ml) at $40 each
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Scott Esterly wrote:I just did a winebid auction for the first time. I started very small. Two bottles of:

2011 Taylor VP (375ml) at $40 each
The slippery slope has begun, lol.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

2011 Cálem VP (magnum)
2005 Fonseca Quinta Do Panascal (750ml)
N.V. Broadbent Lot 1 Auction Reserve (375ml)
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I like the 1974 Carnation bottle, enough to grab a case, at only 75 Euros per bottle it was impossible to say no. I have only opened one, for a Captain of the Army who was in charge of the regiment here in Porto at the time of the Carnation Revolution,as he later was promoted to a Colonel towards the end of his military career. He had been to war in Angola and other former colonies too. I will share another with him next year on the 50th anniversary.

I like this Port a lot. The 50 White and regular 50 Tawny are both better overall, but this is still a worthy bottling and for the price, it was a no-brainer.

Someone above mentioned the 1912 Niepoort. I've been fortunate to have tried it on a handful of occasions. The first time, it was my very first taste of any Colheita and I immediately fell in love with this particular profile of Port, and have never looked back. I don't believe there have been any recent bottlings of the 1912 and that would be my only concern in terms of price:pleasure.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

5 x 1980 Ferreira VP @ less than $33 a bottle. This was a joint bid at auction with John M.