Henriques and Henriques ancient Reservas

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andreas Platt

Re: Henriques and Henriques ancient Reservas

Post by Andreas Platt »

Just added the picture with the golden label still over the H&H; I then removed the golden label (was a difficult task) to "unearthen" the H&H label and now placed on the opposite side of the bottle so that both labels are legible.

As for the numbers my guess is that they had (back then) and still have a counted inventory of bottles and that the "bottles in existence" refers to their company "stash". That would make sense to me as would the numbers of the remaining bottles (a few hundred each sound realistic - back then).

As for the stories with inheritance 1850 and so on I can not say anything else than that the HAMMER CO numbers are all 100% reflecting the H&H labels and where would HAMMER had the Vintage-info if not from H&H and why should every stated Vintage (bottling, rebottling etc.) be correct EXCEPT the harvest one.

Of course, when I asked that question years ago (directly) I didn't get more info than: "that we have no records from the old days, only the bottles."

If you're interested in the initial answer send me your email adress and I'll happily forward.

Cheers

Andy
Attachments
20221208_150136.jpg
20221208_150136.jpg (1.74 MiB) Viewed 2394 times
Andreas Platt

Post by Andreas Platt »

And I wanted to add that besides the Vintage remark on the HAMMER Corp. golden label, which we could (if one wants) doubt, there are AUTHENTIC and ORIGINAL H&H white labels (for the GOB as well as for the MALVAZIA) which state the Vintages from H&H's "point of view".
Attachments
1875back.jpg
1875back.jpg (84.03 KiB) Viewed 2388 times
GOB1860.JPG
GOB1860.JPG (169.8 KiB) Viewed 2388 times
Le Gamin de Paris

Post by Le Gamin de Paris »

Thanks for restarting this thread Andreas, I'm enjoying it.

Here's another photo for Grand Old Boal 1860 from Chrissa Imports.

https://www.christies.com/img/LotImages ... g?mode=max

Only strange thing is if we take the case of WS Boal, when it was first bottled in 1927 with front and back labels applied, if it was indeed 1848 it's curious they didnt add the vintage year to the label on either side of the bottle.

I'm liking your theory on the dates Andreas, it makes sense. For the sake of exploring all the possibilities the other thought I have is the vintage years could have been added for marketing purposes i.e. either to sell an old bottle in US market if it has a year on the label it's easier to command a higher price/sell? Thinking back to a different thread on FTLOP there was a suspicion that some of the vintages on South Side Madeira could have best applied for commercial reasons
Andy M
Le Gamin de Paris

Post by Le Gamin de Paris »

Just found this, more questions now about the quantity of bottles...

https://www.fortheloveofport.com/tndb/1 ... ge-Madeira

In the photo above of Grand Old Boal 1860 it has different bottle totals to the photo posted on page 3 of this thread (340/353 total bottles as opposed to 872) it also has the signature of H&H director. Although could just be a mistake with the printing
Andy M
Andreas Platt

Post by Andreas Platt »

Le Gamin de Paris wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:09 am ...Only strange thing is...
I share your thoughts, and surely enough I am sure that this is something that can't be solved anymore.

I even tried to contact Hammer Corp. (feels like centuries ago) but they are out of trade. In 1998 they relocated from to Cleveland to Streetsborough (both Ohio) before 1999 been sold to Glazer's (of Ohio) which now is Southern Glazer's; Alfred Hammer died in 1998, John Hammer 2017, George Hammer died in 2021.

https://opencorporates.com/companies/us_oh/87129

https://chroniclet.com/news/268059/cork ... ge-hammer/

But what the heck...it's just figures of years, don't change the taste profile and let's just say it plain: the juice is great, whatever the year of harvest it might have been.
Andreas Platt

Post by Andreas Platt »

One more update on the Reservas, and this is something I stumbled over when re-reading Cossarts book.

We were discussing earlier about the different Verdelhos that exist as ancient Reservas, those being

- H&H Velho Verdelho "John Cossart Collection"
- H&H R.R. Reserva with golden label https://www.christies.com/lot/lot-6343762
- H&H R.R. Reserva with white label https://www.christies.com/lot/lot-5956983
- H&H Dry Verdelho Reserva (on opposite side golden label "Verdelho Vintage 1863"); embossed glass
- H&H V.L. Verdelho; embossed glass

There was suspicion if "VL Verdelho" is the same as or even means "Velho Verdelho".

I now will quote Cossart from his book page 159:

"My friend ... acquired ... this wine and was puzzled to find ... initials V.L. ... I was able to inform him that they were the initials of Virginia Lomelino, Mr. Henriques's mother, from whom he had inherited the lote in wood."

And the wine is...Henriques Verdelho 1858 from the Ribeiro Real Vineyard!!!

:D
Attachments
IMG-20230508-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20230508-WA0002.jpg (60.16 KiB) Viewed 2036 times
IMG-20230508-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20230508-WA0000.jpg (76.81 KiB) Viewed 2036 times
20221208_165335.jpg
20221208_165335.jpg (1.38 MiB) Viewed 2041 times