1977 Smith Woodhouse

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Mike J. W.

1977 Smith Woodhouse

Post by Mike J. W. »

Dark purple all the way to the rim. This looks like a recently bottled Vintage Port, not a 46 year-old. I certainly didn't look this good at 46. On a freshly poured glass I can smell nothing but the alcohol, but once it settles and sit, you can smell a mature richness to it with hints of fresh cut wood, a whiff of blackberries and a touch of cinnamon. The legs are clear, small and thin, but just hang on the glass. The tannins are still strong, but have integrated nicely. It's a medium weight port with a long aftertaste. Warm blueberries and blackberries persist on the palate from beginning to end. This isn't the best bottle of '77 SW that I've had. It's slightly off but even still, it's a damn good Port with easily 30 years of life left in it. I'd score this bottle at 92 points.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Bradley Bogdan

Re: 1977 Smith Woodhouse

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

I love how much longevity these have, it’s the kind of stuffing that makes me think they could outlive me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Brad

Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

5 days in and it's still drinking well.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I have a magnum of this been wanting to open... Thanks for the review. [cheers.gif]
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Jonathan S

Post by Jonathan S »

I'm at the 24-hour mark of the '77 SW VP that I opened last night, and it is really starting to sing! [cheers.gif]
Lucas S

Post by Lucas S »

I opened this for my father's 78th birthday in August. It was a hit, he even liked it more than the '95 Vesuvio which I opened the prior month.
All is fair in love and Warre's