Quinta do Rey

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Quinta do Rey

Post by Glenn E. »

Has anyone heard of this property, or tried its Ports? It appears to also be spelled Quinta do Rei which seems more Portuguese, but the bottles have it as I've spelled it in the subject. Also the "Rei" spelling seems to be used regularly for hotels and bed & breakfasts.

A classmate of mine was excited to talk to me at our class reunion because he'd been gifted a couple of bottles and wanted to know about them. Since I'd never heard of the company, I could only tell him about what a 10 year old white is, and also what a 40 year old tawny is.

I've since googled, and it's owned by Messias after having been purchased from Gonzalez Byass in 1958. In fact it appears to be a brand only at this point, as the information that I found said that it has been almost entirely incorporated into Messias' Quinta do Cachao. Almost all of the information that I could find comes from https://www.vintageport.se/house/QuintaRei.php so I suspect it's accurate.
Glenn Elliott
Al B.

Re: Quinta do Rey

Post by Al B. »

I can't tell you much, but I did once own a bottle of Quinta do Rei 1960 Vintage Port. The tasting note for the bottle is here. I recall that the label confirmed the estate was owned by Messias, but I don;t remember anything else useful.
Mike J. W.

Re: Quinta do Rey

Post by Mike J. W. »

I own a bottle of "More than 40 Years" White Port from Quinta do Rey that I picked up cheap at an auction a few years back. It was bottled in 2018 and yes, it references Messias as the owner. Here are front and back pics of the bottle:
Quintadorey1.jpg
Quintadorey1.jpg (137.84 KiB) Viewed 1124 times
Attachments
quintadorey2.jpg
quintadorey2.jpg (142.27 KiB) Viewed 1124 times
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes