What have you opened this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

John M.

Re: What have you opened this week?

Post by John M. »

Andy Velebil wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:21 pm
Lucas S wrote: 1995 Vesuvio VP. Wow what a port.
We don’t talk about this one. ;) lol
So true, Andy!
Any Port in a storm!
John M.

Post by John M. »

One of my NJ Port Brothers turned 60 this week, his wife graciously acquired a 1963 Taylor Fladgate for us to taste tonight at a club meeting. Upon the advice of Roy & Glenn will be opening 3 hours before tasting....follow up report to come!

It will be the only Port of the night....tonight's host is a grill master and being so hot he is pairing various beers with his food.
Any Port in a storm!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

John M. wrote:One of my NJ Port Brothers turned 60 this week, his wife graciously acquired a 1963 Taylor Fladgate for us to taste tonight at a club meeting. Upon the advice of Roy & Glenn will be opening 3 hours before tasting....follow up report to come!

It will be the only Port of the night....tonight's host is a grill master and being so hot he is pairing various beers with his food.
Nice VP! And hear ya on the heat. Yours finally came to the southwest. Cold whites and beer have taken the lead in the fridge.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John M.

Post by John M. »

1963 Taylor Pics - 1st Set
Attachments
Sticky Cork
Sticky Cork
A Sticky Cork.JPG (77.67 KiB) Viewed 3034 times
Double Capsule
Double Capsule
A Double Capsule.JPG (73.45 KiB) Viewed 3034 times
The Bottle
The Bottle
A Bottle.JPG (77.1 KiB) Viewed 3034 times
Any Port in a storm!
John M.

Post by John M. »

This was such a fun bottle. It had two capsules, once both were off bubbles emerged from the cork and there had been just a little seepage under the capsule--super sticky. (Had to use "Goof Off" cleaner to clean up later.). Upon opening there was a little bottle stink but within 5 minutes that was all gone.

Decanted 3 hours before tasting which seemed perfect (bump to Ry and Glenn for their wisdom there). One thing that was striking was how powerfull the aromas were--just filled the room. Just slightly couldy, otherwise a lighter magenta. Rainier cherries and a touch of plum. Nice balance and a lovely finish.

I'll put all the above in the TNDB
Attachments
Decanting.
Decanting.
A decanting.JPG (73.44 KiB) Viewed 3034 times
Cork had 1963 and then Bottled in 1965 on it. Tres cool!
Cork had 1963 and then Bottled in 1965 on it. Tres cool!
A 1963 bottled 1965 Cork.JPG (100.64 KiB) Viewed 3034 times
Any Port in a storm!
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

1995 Ferreira. I decanted this a few minutes ago. The cork was shredded. As usual I have a small sample after decanting. This was drinking very nicely right out of the bottle. More later.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Scott Esterly

Post by Scott Esterly »

From the buying op
IMG_1700.jpeg
IMG_1700.jpeg (282.92 KiB) Viewed 2994 times
LOUISSS J

Post by LOUISSS J »

Taylor Fladgate Vargellas 2008.
Very nice purity on the fruit with very present and precise tannins. On the other hand, it lacks a little fat and complexity. It is still in good shape and can last a good 10 years easily. I had decanted it for an hour before re-bottling it for another 3 hours to then drink it (longer probably would have been more beneficial ?).
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Scott Esterly wrote:From the buying op
IMG_1700.jpeg
How’d you like it?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Scott Esterly

Post by Scott Esterly »

Andy Velebil wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:49 pm
IMG_1700.jpeg
How’d you like it?
It’s quite nice. It has a richness that I’m enjoying a lot. There’s a slight lingering cinnamon flavor on the finish that is great. I saw that some of the “pro” reviews score it around a 92 and I think that’s pretty spot on.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Scott Esterly wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:49 pm
IMG_1700.jpeg
How’d you like it?
It’s quite nice. It has a richness that I’m enjoying a lot. There’s a slight lingering cinnamon flavor on the finish that is great. I saw that some of the “pro” reviews score it around a 92 and I think that’s pretty spot on.
Good to hear. I tasted the whole range when they were released and was very impressed by them.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Visiting my parents, we picked up a 2016 Taylor LBV and opened it to go with a dark chocolate dessert. Very nice wine, and a good pairing.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

I just decanted a 1980 Smith Woodhouse VP. I'll let it sit for about 7 or 8 hours before I have a full glass. The initial sip rght after decanting was nice and smooth.

This was the first time I used my newly purchased Port tongs to open a bottle. It went so-so. I'll have to read some of the threads about this and learn how to do this a little more efficiently.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

1991 Croft VP.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

1970 Offley Boa Vista VP. A leaker that moved to the front of the queue. Has one of the sphere looking capsules that are a pain to cut off. Tried using the tongs, but neck of the bottle was quite narrow. Tongs rested on the shoulder. Didn't heat high enough to cleave the bottle. Ended up cutting the capsule off instead. This bottle needed no decanting times. Very smooth from the start. Day 2 was just a mellow port that was minimally exciting.

Bottom half for the vintage.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Moses Botbol wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:45 am 1970 Offley Boa Vista VP. A leaker that moved to the front of the queue. Has one of the sphere looking capsules that are a pain to cut off. Tried using the tongs, but neck of the bottle was quite narrow. Tongs rested on the shoulder. Didn't heat high enough to cleave the bottle. Ended up cutting the capsule off instead. This bottle needed no decanting times. Very smooth from the start. Day 2 was just a mellow port that was minimally exciting.

Bottom half for the vintage.
You need one of those quaint devices that are an essential part of every English home, but Americans tend to only encounter in hotel rooms:

The electric kettle

About twenty seconds of steam directed at that thick plastic capsule is all that it takes to soften it, after which it can be pushed off with ease using the back of a knife.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Tom Archer wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:30 am About twenty seconds of steam directed at that thick plastic capsule is all that it takes to soften it, after which it can be pushed off with ease using the back of a knife.
I put the bottle on its side, padded the neck from underneath and a sharp knife did the job.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
A.S. Demka

Post by A.S. Demka »

NV Tawny DR 70, bottle 89/200. Nectar of the gods!
Lucas S

Post by Lucas S »

1977 Smith Woodhouse for my father's birthday. It was well-received and a great bottle, aside from a slight cork breakage.
All is fair in love and Warre's
John M.

Post by John M. »

1980 Ferreira

Recently acquired it arrived as a leaker (known at auction it had leaked), so stood it up, wrapped top in plastic wrap and gave the bottle some time to settle. Late yesterday afternoon began the decanting process for a dinner party and when I removed the cap/foil there was no cork.....it had fallen into the bottle. Rare, but happens. The wine was ruined---drinkable but not very pleasurable. It was ultimately discarded and back to the cellar and grabbed a Pacheca 20 Year Tawny instead---a tried and true friend.
Any Port in a storm!