Cedovim Brand??

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

John M.

Cedovim Brand??

Post by John M. »

Saw this in a B&M store. A 20 year tawny for $19.99 - seems way too good to be true. No notes. Never heard of this brand---do we know anything about this?? Thanks (I did not buy, perhaps should have--it is just 18 minutes away so...)
Attachments
20230913_184943.jpg
20230913_184943.jpg (730.75 KiB) Viewed 1662 times
Any Port in a storm!
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: Cedovim Brand??

Post by Glenn E. »

I can't recall having heard of them before. But for $20, snag it quick! How bad can it be, really?

Buy one, go sit out in the parking lot and open it to try it, and if it's good go back in and buy the other 4! :lol:
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Cedovim Brand??

Post by Andy Velebil »

Take a pic of the back label. Bottle looks like what Agri-Roncao (DR, Porto Augusto) uses.

And for $20, I’d buy at least one. Take home and open, quickly taste. If good, go back and buy all.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

I have seen it out in the wild before but have never tried it. But for $20 for a 20 yo, it's definitely worth taking a flyer.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:02 pm Take a pic of the back label. Bottle looks like what Agri-Roncao (DR, Porto Augusto) uses.
DR's bottles that have a similar shape have a squared bottom and a straight neck. More importantly, they're 500 ml.
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Glenn E. wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:02 pm Take a pic of the back label. Bottle looks like what Agri-Roncao (DR, Porto Augusto) uses.
DR's bottles that have a similar shape have a squared bottom and a straight neck. More importantly, they're 500 ml.
They are a dead ringer for Augusto.

And I think Agri also does Corvos?? Can Anyone confirm?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:36 pm
Glenn E. wrote:
They are a dead ringer for Augusto.

And I think Agri also does Corvos?? Can Anyone confirm?
I think that Lisa told me that Augusto and Corvos are the same? She visited both tasting rooms in Gaia a while back, noted that all the bottles looked the same, asked them about it and got the runaround, but then was finally able to get someone to admit that they're in fact the same.

That's a pretty vague memory. But if true, and Agri-Roncao produces Augusto, then they would also produce Corvos.

Edit: nope, doesn't look like it. Did some googling, and Quinta dos Corvos bottles look nothing like these (or Augustos).
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil

Cedovim Brand??

Post by Andy Velebil »

They may also have something to do with Quinta do Estanho. Augusto website store sells both brands on it.

And yes I think they are related (Agri, Augustos and Corvos). I recall tasting at Corvos some years ago right after they opened and the guy mentioned they were affiliated with another company. I just can’t recall which.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Looks like Cedovim might be owned by Agostinho Amável Costa? Never heard of them either, though.
Glenn Elliott
John M.

Post by John M. »

Thanks for the info---I will try one out and report back. Maybe just include in the line-up.
Any Port in a storm!
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Glenn E. wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:44 pm Edit: nope, doesn't look like it. Did some googling, and Quinta dos Corvos bottles look nothing like these (or Augustos).
Yes, my conclusion as well. Cedovim pointed me too https://amavelcosta.com/en/porto-cedovim/ . So they are a brand under Amável Costa, which I am also unfamiliar with. But I don't see any connection to Corvos-Augustos, which are themselves affiliated.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

How could you not buy that for $20? You should be scolded, lol. :scholar:
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric Menchen wrote:
Glenn E. wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:44 pm Edit: nope, doesn't look like it. Did some googling, and Quinta dos Corvos bottles look nothing like these (or Augustos).
Yes, my conclusion as well. Cedovim pointed me too https://amavelcosta.com/en/porto-cedovim/ . So they are a brand under Amável Costa, which I am also unfamiliar with. But I don't see any connection to Corvos-Augustos, which are themselves affiliated.
Good digging!

And yes. Go back and buy a bottle and let us know how it is.