ABSL - which Frasqueiras are seekworthy

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andreas Platt

ABSL - which Frasqueiras are seekworthy

Post by Andreas Platt »

Having a few Barros' Madeiras in my cellar, I confess to have tasted even fewer lately.

I just wonder, since this is a closed operation, anyways (and Oliveiras didn't buy the old stock from ABSL), which are the ones you know and liked?

For me the 1860 were good (M great and B very good), and the 1914 M ("Solera", but I think Frasqueira) excellent with the 1934 M "Faja" being a little tad behind.

On CT I see 1864 Faja (of course M) in existence, also Moscatel from 1890 and Terrantez from 1902, anyone know any of these wines?
Eric Ifune

Re: ABSL - which Frasqueiras are seekworthy

Post by Eric Ifune »

I've only had the 1934 M Faja. Thought it was terrific if not top tier.
D'Oliverias do have casks of ABSL as well as their own wines in the old ABSL lodge.
Andreas Platt

Post by Andreas Platt »

1934 M Faja is really great, 1914 excellent (maybe the 20 years evolution helped the 1914, just a point delta on my 100points scale).

And yes, Oli has some casks, but the old wines were NOT sold/transferred back then, with some newer barrels handed to Oli; the latter is completely understandable, since where would the Barros Bros have kept those many barrels, let alone, how would they have managed to get them away from their (former) place and how would they bottle, market and sell them. So, you are right: some of younger Barros wines are at Olis, the velhos are not.
Andreas Platt

Post by Andreas Platt »