Offline in Los Angeles Area -- 2023 version

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: Offline in Los Angeles Area -- 2023 version

Post by Glenn E. »

I'm still in... I'd fly down for 4-5 people. Because Port! :lol:

But seriously, I'll probably stick to my original travel plans and be there all weekend. So I'll be there all day both Saturday and Sunday and available for whatever people want to do.

If at least one day is going to be at Andy's club, I'll probably get a hotel room closer to that site just for the sake of convenience.
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

If I could get a tentative head count I’ll start working on either Friday or Sat night at country club. Preference for Saturday to allow people to arrive.

Those arriving earlier on Friday we can sort something that afternoon/evening as well. Even if it’s a bit more casual. Like bring a bottle of something fun to share. Depending on numbers, possible I may be able to host at my house. Or can look into a restaurant nearby.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

My preference would be for Saturday also. I plan to arrive Friday evening and would rather not go straight into a tasting from the airport. :lol:

I do currently plan to stay through the weekend, so would be up for something on Sunday as well. If nothing comes together then I'll change my plans and fly home on Sunday. But at least for now, the plan is to fly home on Monday so Sunday is open for festivities.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I would like to come, but my work schedule is becoming more uncooperative.
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

I’m still in and I am looking forward to it! Something casual on Friday and a more formal tasing on Saturday would work for me. Bottles can be decided later on once we determine the format for each evening.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Y'all are going to make me take Friday off so that I can get down there early enough to check into a hotel and then show up somewhere! :lol:

[yahoo.gif]
Glenn Elliott
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Unfortunately, it’s looking like that’s the week my MiL is targeting for a knee replacement. I’m going to have to bow out of this time, sorry all! Really itching to get back to see you all in person again (it’s been too long!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Brad

Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Bradley Bogdan wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:31 pm Unfortunately, it’s looking like that’s the week my MiL is targeting for a knee replacement. I’m going to have to bow out of this time, sorry all! Really itching to get back to see you all in person again (it’s been too long!).
Bummer! I was really hoping that you'd be able to make it. It's been too long!

I hope your MiL's surgery goes well and her recovery is quick & easy!
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Do we have a firm head count yet? We need to start making some plans for Fri and Sat.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

It looks like we have 5 for sure. Lisa and Vic are allegedly looking into coming down as well... I'll ping her again and ask her to post here.

(They're probably on their way to Portugal for PHT right now, so we may not get a quick reply. I've both emailed and texted.)
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I think I need to bow out. :(
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Glenn E. wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:37 am It looks like we have 5 for sure. Lisa and Vic are allegedly looking into coming down as well... I'll ping her again and ask her to post here.

(They're probably on their way to Portugal for PHT right now, so we may not get a quick reply. I've both emailed and texted.)
I'm thinking with this many people bowing out, perhaps we try and reschedule for a different time.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

I didn't have Eric as firm for this yet anyway. Edited down for clarity, the list from the 1st post is:

Mark L (Yes) [1937 Burmester, unknown port?]
Glenn E (Yes) [1937 Kopke, "casual" bottle TBD]
Andy V (Yes)
David S (Yes) [Kopke 50]
Marc J (Yes) [tbd]

I still haven't heard back from Lisa so that could be 2 more.

If we have to reschedule, though, that's fine too. I have not yet purchased my flight.
Glenn Elliott
Mark L

Post by Mark L »

Like many of you, I was certainly looking forward to this event, though I also completely understand if we need to reschedule!

I suppose I would only request that we try to reschedule in earnest and really try to find a date in the future that people can really look forward to and plan for.

After October we get into the holidays.... would a mid-late Jan work? I would normally think that wintertime can sometimes delay travel plans.

I do remember March being a decent time for tastings.

So I suppose: if not Oct with 5 people, then when?

Perhaps we could find an ideal time that at least these confirmed 5 can make it, and then hopefully by a slight miracle 6 or 7 others can join in, too!

(And then we hold it rain or shine even with 5 people!)
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mark L wrote:Like many of you, I was certainly looking forward to this event, though I also completely understand if we need to reschedule!

I suppose I would only request that we try to reschedule in earnest and really try to find a date in the future that people can really look forward to and plan for.

After October we get into the holidays.... would a mid-late Jan work? I would normally think that wintertime can sometimes delay travel plans.

Perhaps we could find an ideal time that at least these confirmed 5 can make it, and then hopefully by a slight miracle 6 or 7 others can join in, too!

Give us a couple days. Working on two more people. Image
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:55 pm
Mark L wrote:Like many of you, I was certainly looking forward to this event, though I also completely understand if we need to reschedule!

Give us a couple days. Working on two more people. Image
Sadly, I heard from Lisa and Vic and they won't be able to make it. So it looks like just the 5 of us if we want to proceed. I'm fine either way because I have not yet purchased my tickets, so if we want to re-schedule that'll work.

FWIW mid-late January won't work for me. March is further out than my brain can process, but I think that's reasonably clear? :lol:
Glenn Elliott
Mark L

Post by Mark L »

Thanks for communicating with them, Glen. It's too bad, but I appreciate their consideration nonetheless!

I'm leaning toward postponing, myself, perhaps if only because I get the idea that dividing 8 - 9 bottles into 8 - 9 parts might work better than 5 bottles into 5 parts. I guess I was thinking at least with a few more people we could do flights, etc. I suppose any which way, we end up drinking a whole bottle ! Haha.

But of course we don't have to be so structured as having flights!

All that said, I'll be up for whatever!
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

I think at this point we need to officially postpone. I still haven't purchased airfare as I was waiting for more details, and while I can probably still get a flight down at this late date it would probably be more expensive.

I think I'm the only out-of-towner on the list? So hopefully postponing this late won't cause problems for anyone else.
Glenn Elliott