What Port(s) have you purchased this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Mike J. W.

Re: What Port(s) have you purchased this week?

Post by Mike J. W. »

2 x 1977 Ferreira VP (1 to John M.)
3 x 1994 Ferreira VP (2 to John M.)
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
John M.

Post by John M. »

1 x Pacheca 20 (should just buy a case already)
1 x Santa Eufemia 20, 375mm. Heard it was on the dry side...anxious to taste
1 x Q. Vale d. Maria Lote 18 Ruby Reserve
Any Port in a storm!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

John M. wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:27 am 1 x Q. Vale d. Maria Lote 18 Ruby Reserve
The Lot 06 was actually 2006 VP that he ended up not wanting to release as a VP so it became Lot 06. I don't think he did a Lot 07 or 08 but it came back at some point. I haven't followed them so not sure what they are now.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Lucas S wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:20 pm Has anybody ever bought a Magnum off WineBid and know how shipping for those work? Does it become the equivalent of 1/3rd of a case and ship with regular 750mls or what?
I just arranged to ship five magnums I purchased on winebid.com. Four are coming in one box, $30. The fifth is in its own box, $25. So next time I'll try to ship just four and hold others until I have a few others for it to ship with.
Lucas S

Post by Lucas S »

That's useful to know, thank you Eric.
All is fair in love and Warre's
A.S. Demka

Post by A.S. Demka »

After a great PHT2 trip with Roy and Mario:
S. Leonardo 10 yo tawny
S. Leonardo 20 yo tawny
S. Leonardo 10 yo white
S. Leonardo 20 yo white
S. Leonardo 40 yo white
Quevedo colheita 1974
Quevedo colheita 1976
Quevedo 40 yo tawny
Quevedo vintage 2007
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

A.S. Demka wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:59 am After a great PHT2 trip with Roy and Mario:
S. Leonardo 10 yo tawny
S. Leonardo 20 yo tawny
S. Leonardo 10 yo white
S. Leonardo 20 yo white
S. Leonardo 40 yo white
Quevedo colheita 1974
Quevedo colheita 1976
Quevedo 40 yo tawny
Quevedo vintage 2007
thats a good haul!
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Randy Katz

Post by Randy Katz »

Glenn E. wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:39 am
Randy Katz wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:26 pm 1x Grahams 1985 mag
12x 1987 Niepoort. no mention of which one in the listing. Hoping it is the garrafeira, not an LBV. Am fine with the VP or Colheita for $550 W/BP
The 1987 Garrafeira runs about $600 per bottle. So if you got a case for $550 W/BP I'd be shocked if it is the Garrafeira. My guess would be VP or Colheita, and as you said either of those would be fine at that price.

I tried to order some direct and was talking about maybe getting a case or two. The price came back as $600 which, since I'd been talking about cases I assumed meant per case, but they corrected me and said that was the bottle price. :shock: I didn't order any. It's amazing, but I just don't need all that many $600 bottles of Port!
Got them in. 2 OWC 6-packs of 1987 VP. Happy with the price!
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Randy Katz wrote:
Randy Katz wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:26 pm 1x Grahams 1985 mag
12x 1987 Niepoort. no mention of which one in the listing. Hoping it is the garrafeira, not an LBV. Am fine with the VP or Colheita for $550 W/BP
The 1987 Garrafeira runs about $600 per bottle. So if you got a case for $550 W/BP I'd be shocked if it is the Garrafeira. My guess would be VP or Colheita, and as you said either of those would be fine at that price.

I tried to order some direct and was talking about maybe getting a case or two. The price came back as $600 which, since I'd been talking about cases I assumed meant per case, but they corrected me and said that was the bottle price. :shock: I didn't order any. It's amazing, but I just don't need all that many $600 bottles of Port!
There’s some bottle variation with the ‘87 VP but I recently opened one and it was singing. Took about ~4 hrs to fully open up. Enjoy!
Randy Katz

Post by Randy Katz »

Andy Velebil wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 2:22 am
Randy Katz wrote:

There’s some bottle variation with the ‘87 VP but I recently opened one and it was singing. Took about ~4 hrs to fully open up. Enjoy!
Thanks. For $46 each, I won't mind a bit of variability. Pricing out there seems quite high with that concern. Bottle List has some for $125 if anyone needs some, otherwise far too overpriced everywhere else.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Glenn E. wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:24 am
Glenn E. wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:55 pm Just ordered my first batch of 2021 Graham's The Stone Terraces. 6 bottles on pre-order. They won't arrive (in London) until September.
Just ordered my second batch. This batch includes a tregnum! So I now have 12 bottles and 1 tregnum headed for my storage facility in London.

Retail price in the US looks like it has jumped from $225/bottle to $550! It looks to me like the retail price in the UK jumped from 150 GBP to maybe 200? Given the exchange rate, that makes it significantly cheaper to buy in the UK (in bond) and then pay to air ship/overnight it to the US. Which is kind of crazy, but that's usually about $300 - $350 per case so only adds $25 or $30 to the bottle price. I have a shipper that I've worked with many times in the past, and they handle all of the duties and import fees and deliver it right to my door.

I'll probably still get... 3 more bottles? I want those to have here in the US for the verticals that I do every time they have a new release. :lol:
3rd batch ordered - 3 more Stone Terraces and 6 each of 2011 and 2020 VP split between two sources in the UK.

3 x 2021 Graham's The Stone Terraces
3 x 2020 Graham Vintage Port

3 x 2020 Graham Vintage Port
6 x 2011 Graham Vintage Port
Glenn Elliott
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

A.S. Demka wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:59 am After a great PHT2 trip with Roy and Mario:
S. Leonardo 10 yo tawny
S. Leonardo 20 yo tawny
S. Leonardo 10 yo white
S. Leonardo 20 yo white
S. Leonardo 40 yo white
Quevedo colheita 1974
Quevedo colheita 1976
Quevedo 40 yo tawny
Quevedo vintage 2007
Anyone got recommendations to buy Quevedo in the US? PA only carried standards and one LBV when I was introduced to them, and we don't have any now. My partner hasn't found any in MD or VA, either.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Scheiny S wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:14 pm
S. Leonardo 10 yo tawny
S. Leonardo 20 yo tawny
S. Leonardo 10 yo white
S. Leonardo 20 yo white
S. Leonardo 40 yo white
Quevedo colheita 1974
Quevedo colheita 1976
Quevedo 40 yo tawny
Quevedo vintage 2007
Anyone got recommendations to buy Quevedo in the US? PA only carried standards and one LBV when I was introduced to them, and we don't have any now. My partner hasn't found any in MD or VA, either.
Winesearcher shows that Flickinger's in Illinois is selling a 2006 LBV. They ship to PA. Other than that, there is a Colheita and a Vintage Port for sale by a few stores in TN, but they don't ship outside of their state. That was only using the free Winesearcher site. If someone has the paid site they might be able to find a few more.

1000corks.com shows that nakewines.com out of CA has a 10 yo Tawny and a 2016 LBV. I'm unsure if they ship to PA. Good luck.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
John M.

Post by John M. »

Mike J. W. wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:35 pm
S. Leonardo 10 yo tawny
S. Leonardo 20 yo tawny
S. Leonardo 10 yo white
S. Leonardo 20 yo white
S. Leonardo 40 yo white
Quevedo colheita 1974
Quevedo colheita 1976
Quevedo 40 yo tawny
Quevedo vintage 2007
Winesearcher shows that Flickinger's in Illinois is selling a 2006 LBV. They ship to PA. Other than that, there is a Colheita and a Vintage Port for sale by a few stores in TN, but they don't ship outside of their state. That was only using the free Winesearcher site. If someone has the paid site they might be able to find a few more.

1000corks.com shows that nakewines.com out of CA has a 10 yo Tawny and a 2016 LBV. I'm unsure if they ship to PA. Good luck.
Have not looked in a while but PA used to carry a lot of Quevedo of different kinds.
Any Port in a storm!
John M.

Post by John M. »

At Auction:

1 x 1978 Fonseca Guimaraens
1 x 1992 Fonseca LBV

Mike and I are planning a pre-2000 LBV fest. We have way too many for one event...or maybe not depending on one's geek level.
Any Port in a storm!
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

John M. wrote:At Auction:

1 x 1992 Fonseca LBV

Mike and I are planning a pre-2000 LBV fest. We have way too many for one event...or maybe not depending on one's geek level.
When you open the ‘78, let me know your impression. I’m curious to read it.
John M.

Post by John M. »

Andy Velebil wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:09 am

1 x 1992 Fonseca LBV

Sure Andy - Any particular reason??
Any Port in a storm!
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

John M. wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:09 am

1 x 1992 Fonseca LBV

Sure Andy - Any particular reason??
It’s an interesting bottle and one that I like reading comments about.
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Mike J. W. wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:35 pm
S. Leonardo 10 yo tawny
S. Leonardo 20 yo tawny
S. Leonardo 10 yo white
S. Leonardo 20 yo white
S. Leonardo 40 yo white
Quevedo colheita 1974
Quevedo colheita 1976
Quevedo 40 yo tawny
Quevedo vintage 2007

Send me a PM if you want some seaches made on Wine-Searcher Pro.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

PR Grisley in Utah is Quevedo’s importer. I’d email or call them and ask who may carry it closest to you.

http://www.prgrisley.com