What have you opened this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Lucas S

Re: What have you opened this week?

Post by Lucas S »

Tried an older bottling of Graham's Six Grapes I picked up at auction.

While it's not bad per se, I decided I don't really like it - it's a bit too "dirty." It also needs a ton of air - a couple days of decanting even.

The newer bottling with the fatter bottle is a bit better but has this same characteristic.
All is fair in love and Warre's
Randy Katz

Post by Randy Katz »

1987 Niepoort VP. 1st year Dirk entirely made the wine. Stunning. Needed 5+ hours of air to blow off some funk, almost smelled a bit oxidized at first, but fully blew off. Beautifully balanced, even better the next day holding in the fridge with no argon.

Glad I have 11 more!
Bram C

Post by Bram C »

Gerwin de Graaf wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:49 am
Andy Velebil wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:15 am Happy soon-to-be 50th! Sounds like a fun gathering. What all else was opened?
Thanks Andy!
The other wines we enjoyed were 8--) [dance2.gif] [cheers.gif] :
- 2012 Aspasie Champagne (small producer that I visit sometimes to pick up their wonderful Champagnes)
- 1996 Wegeler Forster Ungeheuer Riesling Spätlese Trocken
- 2005 Carbonnieux Pessac Leognan Blanc
- 2008 Pascal Cotat Sancerre La Grande Cote
- 2009 Hospices de Beaune Beaune 1er Cru Cuvée Clos des Avaux
- 1973 Lafite Rothschild Pauillac 1er Grand Cru Classé
- 1998 Angelus Saint Emilion 1er Grand Cru Classé
- 2007 Domaine de la Solitude Châteauneuf-du-Pape Reservé Secrète
- NV Casa Santa Eufemia Special Reserve White Port (over 30 YO) Bottled 2010 (believed mostly from 1973 vintage)
Nice birthday dinner you had, Gerwin!
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

S. Leonardo 30 Year Old Tawny (to go with pecan pie and a cranberry-apple-caramel pie) - Great as expected.
1999 Quinta de Roriz VP (to go with flourless chocolate ganache cake) - I decanted at 12:30 and we probably started drinking it around 20:00. At first I thought the bottle was corked, but the flavor seemed better. With time it greatly improved and I think that instead there was just some bottle stink that needed to blow off.
John M.

Post by John M. »

Over Thanksgiving I opened a 1982 Ramos Pinto. I recall someone recently opened a 1983 and commented how good it was and an under the radar Port. I could say exactly that for the 1982. I opened a bottle last May (see Tasting Notes) and basically the same. So lovely and held up well for days.

Really shocked by how dark it was. I do not suspect elderberry juice, but it looks like a ruby reserve, not a 41 year old Port. Super nose!

94 Points
Any Port in a storm!
A.S. Demka

Post by A.S. Demka »

A great 0,375 bottle of Dow 2000, followed by a nice bottle of Niepoort crusted 2011 bottling. Wrong order😉!
Last edited by A.S. Demka on Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Friday, we opened an '85 Gould Campbell VP. Basic fresh grape taste on pop and pour. Last night was marvelous. Super long finish and wonderful floral and tangerine nose. Reallyt special port. Has to be one of the best of the vintage. Expecting to finish the bottle today.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Moses Botbol wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:37 am Friday, we opened an '85 Gould Campbell VP. Basic fresh grape taste on pop and pour. Last night was marvelous. Super long finish and wonderful floral and tangerine nose. Reallyt special port. Has to be one of the best of the vintage. Expecting to finish the bottle today.
When we had an 85@30 tasting in 2015 followed soon after by 75@40, the 75s were showing very much better. Now 85 is approaching
it's 40th it too is becomeing a much more grown up and composed vintage.
A.S. Demka

Post by A.S. Demka »

Churchill’s crusted 2006 bottling
John SHA

Post by John SHA »

Lucas S wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:36 pm 1994 Warre VP (375ml)
Sandeman Reserve

July 20 edit:
1995 Vesuvio VP. Wow what a port.
How was the 1994 Warre VP? Just got a couple bottles and wondering if I should put them in the drinking rotation or let them sit longer.
Lucas S

Post by Lucas S »

It was alright. It definitely seemed like it underwent accelerated aging, but I don't have enough experience with small bottle sizes to say more than that. Could just be bottle variation. If you have a 375ml, I would suggest opening one to try - I don't think it will be "early" by any means.

750mls are probably in better shape and aged enough to have a go, but others who have had one recently may have more to say with regards to that.
All is fair in love and Warre's
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Lucas S wrote:It was alright. It definitely seemed like it underwent accelerated aging, but I don't have enough experience with small bottle sizes to say more than that. Could just be bottle variation. If you have a 375ml, I would suggest opening one to try - I don't think it will be "early" by any means.

750mls are probably in better shape and aged enough to have a go, but others who have had one recently may have more to say with regards to that.
I’ve had a 750 of the 94W recently and it’s a rock star. Has a few decades left before peaking. I’d imaging 1/2 bottles are probably farther along.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Scott Esterly

Post by Scott Esterly »

Lucas S wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:46 pm It was alright. It definitely seemed like it underwent accelerated aging, but I don't have enough experience with small bottle sizes to say more than that. Could just be bottle variation. If you have a 375ml, I would suggest opening one to try - I don't think it will be "early" by any means.

I opened a 375ml of the 94 Warre in Sept 2022 and it was heavenly. In my tasting note I remarked it "almost tasted young." I have a second 375ml in my cellar, might be time to try it again!
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

[quote
I opened a 375ml of the 94 Warre in Sept 2022 and it was heavenly. In my tasting note I remarked it "almost tasted young." I have a second 375ml in my cellar, might be time to try it again!
[/quote]

Well, in my book it is still young! The 94s seem to be on a very long maturation cycle. I don't expect them to show their best until at least 45yrs old.

Have just popped my first '99 - a Crasto. Way too young and tannic still, but good juice with a good future. 6-8
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Tom Archer wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:32 am [quote
Well, in my book it is still young! The 94s seem to be on a very long maturation cycle. I don't expect them to show their best until at least 45yrs old.

Have just popped my first '99 - a Crasto. Way too young and tannic still, but good juice with a good future. 6-8
[/quote]

I'm doing a '94 tasting over two nights next September with my college buddies down at the shore. I have 12 bottles lined up (6 a night). Hopefully they all show well.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

San Leonardo 40 year old.
Martin H

Post by Martin H »

Grahams 10 year old Tawny + Quevedo's 10 year old Tawny. Quevedo was surprisingly good, while it had less depth compared to Grahams, it was very smooth and "easy" to drink.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Another magnum of 1977 Gould Campbell for a Christmas Party. Only 10 left! :lol: [yahoo.gif]
Glenn Elliott
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

1970 Noval VP on Sunday. Went down quick. [kez_11.gif]
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Will be opening a 1912 tomorrow night.

One of four bottles bought ten years ago, capsules indicating that they were bottled by Messrs Day of London (about whom I know nothing at all) and the vintage date.

Will be knockng the neck off with tongs heated in my pub's fire and it will join a motley collection of other ancient bottles, there are ten of us getting together.

Anyone want to guess the shipper? (I'm so hoping the cork is legible so I have an ID for the other three..)