Decant advice for 2 Ports

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

LOUISSS J

Decant advice for 2 Ports

Post by LOUISSS J »

Hi all,
I will open soon two bottles :
Taylor Fladgate Vargellas 2001 (375ml)
Fonseca Guimaraens 1998 (375ml)
They will probably drink up in 2 hours. How much carafe time do you think they would need?
Frederick Blais

Re: Decant advice for 2 Ports

Post by Frederick Blais »

I'd say you can decant 1-2 hours before service. I had Vargellas pop and pour recently and it was already very good!
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I'd go a little longer than Frederick... maybe 3-4 hours. I suspect that the Ports will show best between 4 and 6 hours after opening.

Neither 1998 nor 2001 is a classic vintage, but they're still pretty young so I think they still need a pretty decent decant.
Glenn Elliott
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I am on the side with Glenn on this for an event. Those bottles will be gone in no time so they need be ready at first sip.

I pop and pour virtually everything. Even an hour or two in has its merit. I don't think that is phase you arm aiming for on this occasion.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
LOUISSS J

Post by LOUISSS J »

Finally I wrote this question too late because I already opened the bottles.
The bottles were opened a little less than 3 hours before the start of the tasting. Everything was drunk 2 hours later, so between 3 and 5 hours.
The Fonseca remained stable from start to finish but the Taylor seemed more floral (and interesting) after 3 or 4 hours. On the other hand, the Ports were probably too hot towards the end since we were in a fairly hot room.
According to my tastes, the Ports are perfect now. Despite everything, they were still in very good shape (especially for the Taylor) and should be good for a good 10 years (even for 375ml which surprised me slightly).

Thanks for the answers. :salute: