What have you opened this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: What have you opened this week?

Post by Andy Velebil »

Tom Archer wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:40 am Will be opening a 1912 tomorrow night.

One of four bottles bought ten years ago, capsules indicating that they were bottled by Messrs Day of London (about whom I know nothing at all) and the vintage date.

Will be knockng the neck off with tongs heated in my pub's fire and it will join a motley collection of other ancient bottles, there are ten of us getting together.

Anyone want to guess the shipper? (I'm so hoping the cork is legible so I have an ID for the other three..)
So sad to break the necks off very old bottles. Prefer to push the cork in and bag it out in one piece and keep the old bottle intact. Hopefully it shows well.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Andy Velebil wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:53 pm So sad to break the necks off very old bottles. Prefer to push the cork in and bag it out in one piece and keep the old bottle intact. Hopefully it shows well.
I have old bottles on display that have been tonged. You can't tell that by looking at them. The tops are just sitting on top. Maybe if I wanted to display them horizontally or if I lived somewhere prone to earthquakes this wouldn't be feasible, but it works for me.
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

So sad to break the necks off very old bottles. Prefer to push the cork in and bag it out in one piece and keep the old bottle intact. Hopefully it shows well.
I only preserve empties if they are exceptionally old or have interesting labels. It's bad enough finding space for full bottles without stockpiling unlabelled empties!
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Andy Velebil wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:53 pm So sad to break the necks off very old bottles. Prefer to push the cork in and bag it out in one piece and keep the old bottle intact. Hopefully it shows well.
I tend to do them on an old bottle only if there's a question of "is it really what the label says". I am too impatient to use tongs and the ceremony has long died off.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

and the ceremony has long died off
Not in these parts! Every bottle opened tonight will be decapitated.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Tom Archer wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:18 am
and the ceremony has long died off
Not in these parts! Every bottle opened tonight will be decapitated.
Standing around holding a MAP torch & tongs is not my first choice. If there is a ready roaring fire available, I'd be inclined to use the tongs on every bottle.
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

If there is a ready roaring fire available, I'd be inclined to use the tongs on every bottle.
There will be!
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Moses Botbol wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:31 am Standing around holding a MAP torch & tongs is not my first choice. If there is a ready roaring fire available, I'd be inclined to use the tongs on every bottle.
My stove top has a large burner that can be turned down to only use the inner ring which is just the right size.
Bram C

Post by Bram C »

Moses Botbol wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:29 am 1970 Noval VP on Sunday. Went down quick. [kez_11.gif]
What are your thoughts about it? I only have one bottle of it.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Bram C wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:38 pm
Moses Botbol wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:29 am 1970 Noval VP on Sunday. Went down quick. [kez_11.gif]
One of the best of ports of the vintage, for sure top 5-6. Great color and powerful. Similar results with a bottle from the same case about a year ago. Racing against the wife to get a glass. [dash1.gif]
A.S. Demka

Post by A.S. Demka »

Andresen LBV 2017, unfiltered. Much to my surprise there was no depot/sediment at all, in spite of using cheese cloth as a filter.
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Well my 1912's cork was branded S H Day & Co. Vintage 1912 - bottler put his own stamp on it. Drank well however, with characteristics that made us suspect Croft or Sandeman. Bit disappointing it didn't reveal a major shipper's name tho'

Not the oldest bottle drunk last night, that was a rather decayed Sandeman 1900. Youngest was a Warre 70. Wine of the night was an excellent Graham 1948.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Tom Archer wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:49 amWine of the night was an excellent Graham 1948.
That's always wine of the night when served. [cheers.gif]
Bram C

Post by Bram C »

Moses Botbol wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:45 pm
Bram C wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:38 pm
One of the best of ports of the vintage, for sure top 5-6. Great color and powerful. Similar results with a bottle from the same case about a year ago. Racing against the wife to get a glass. [dash1.gif]
Sounds like i have to open it in the near future.
Scott Esterly

Post by Scott Esterly »

From last year’s buying opPORTunity - this is a fantastic tawny!
IMG_3300.jpeg
IMG_3300.jpeg (1.55 MiB) Viewed 1105 times
Lucas S

Post by Lucas S »

2002 Krohn Colheita b. 2018

Woody aftertaste. Very smooth yet still quite big bodied and purple. Not bad at all, especially considering it was $24 retail.
All is fair in love and Warre's
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Tom Archer wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:49 am Well my 1912's cork was branded S H Day & Co. Vintage 1912 - bottler put his own stamp on it. Drank well however, with characteristics that made us suspect Croft or Sandeman. Bit disappointing it didn't reveal a major shipper's name tho'

Not the oldest bottle drunk last night, that was a rather decayed Sandeman 1900. Youngest was a Warre 70. Wine of the night was an excellent Graham 1948.
There was also an 1871 Loureiro…
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

A trio of 2007 colheitas as part of a small tasting.

2007 Dalva Colheita
2007 Niepoort Colheita
2007 Dow's Colheita

The Dalva was in the best state for current drinking with a nice balance of acid and sweetness. The Niepoort has the best outlook though with a bold and majorly acidic backbone. Needs 10+ years before revisit. But it will be a great one in 30 years time.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Bram C wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:42 pmSounds like i have to open it in the near future.
Well, it's an event worthy port, so don't pop & pour if you can help it. Unfortunately, pop & pour is the default at our residence. Not the whole bottle, but for sure a couple of glasses right away.
Bram C

Post by Bram C »

Moses Botbol wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:59 am
Bram C wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:42 pmSounds like i have to open it in the near future.
Well, it's an event worthy port, so don't pop & pour if you can help it. Unfortunately, pop & pour is the default at our residence. Not the whole bottle, but for sure a couple of glasses right away.
Most of the time I decant them for a few hours, so i can drink them with family and friends at the time I pour them a glass.