What have you opened this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Eric Menchen

Re: What have you opened this week?

Post by Eric Menchen »

1994 Quinta do Vesuvio - Strong as usual.
1937 Rocha Colheita, 375ml - An older bottling from 2005, this was certainly tasty but not as great as some other 1937s I've had.
John M.

Post by John M. »

Was figuring out what to have over the Christmas Holiday, could not quite decide then I discovered I have leaker--a 1980 Ferreira. Perfect choice that decided for me!
Any Port in a storm!
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

A vintage I've never sampled, other than as a white port, a Taylor 1971 LBV

If you've never tried one, I'll give you a heads up - don't bother!

The bottle was in good order with base of neck level and reasonable colour for its age, but the wine itself seemed dilute and was wholly characterless - so much so that I might spot it in a blind tasting by that trait alone.

This my 30th and last bottle of LBV for home drinking this year. My annual ration of VP for home drinking - 48 btls per year - is two btls away from completion.
A.S. Demka

Post by A.S. Demka »

My last bottle of DR white colheita 2008. Elisabete Almeida told me that they’ve run out of 2008 stock now. Luckily there’s plenty of 2010!
Lucas S

Post by Lucas S »

Cracked open my first '94 Vesuvio for Christmas Eve. I figured I should try one sooner rather than later, so I can decide to maybe pick up more bottles.

I was expecting much more of a bruiser, but this bottle is smooth and delicious. I left it standing up in the basement in a cabinet for a few months which gave a great pour and it's quite translucent, cork came out easy without Durand. I really enjoyed the '95 so now I'll have to have them side by side at some point, as I'm not sure one which I like better now. The Vesuvio style definitely floats my boat.
All is fair in love and Warre's
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

A.S. Demka wrote:My last bottle of DR white colheita 2008. Elisabete Almeida told me that they’ve run out of 2008 stock now. Luckily there’s plenty of 2010!
I bought 2 cases of this and still have 8 left. I'll probably have another one at some point over the holidays. It's a fantastic Port!
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

1995 Smith Woodhouse Madelena VP. In a beautiful spot, based on this bottle. But no rush either.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bram C

Post by Bram C »

I'm opening a Fonseca 1992 tonight. What do you guys recommend for decanting this bottle (750ML)?
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Bram C wrote:I'm opening a Fonseca 1992 tonight. What do you guys recommend for decanting this bottle (750ML)?
6-8 hours is pretty good. I’ve a few of these lately and they’re drinking quite well at the moment.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John M.

Post by John M. »

NV Pacheca 30 Year Old Tawny Port on Christmas Eve Eve

Strong butterscotch and praline with a blood orange finish and a hint of barlett pear. Ever so lovely from start to finish--95 Points

1994 Warres

4 hour decant (Should be longer--like 6 hours). Still dark and youthful. Decent nose. As noted in prior tastings of this, bing cherry is the strongest element. A bit spicy and tannic--age a while longer. -- 91 Points
Any Port in a storm!
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

2003 Noval LBV Unfiltered.
cliburn
Location: Minnetonka, Minnesota, United States of America - USA

Post by cliburn »

1997 Niepoort and a 30 year San Leonardo tawny.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

DR 30 year old tawny Port
Glenn Elliott
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Offley 35

Second of a pair. When the first was opened, it had a short replacement cork and only fine sediment. It didn't show well and I realised that these were merchant decanted bottles that should have been drunk decades ago.

Second one opened last night to drink through as I see the year out - and it's absolutely gorgeous!
Bram C

Post by Bram C »

Andy Velebil wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:56 am
Bram C wrote:I'm opening a Fonseca 1992 tonight. What do you guys recommend for decanting this bottle (750ML)?
6-8 hours is pretty good. I’ve a few of these lately and they’re drinking quite well at the moment.
It drunk really well! I still have some in the bottle for today.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

A couple of nights before Christmas we opened an '85 Ferreira. Finished on Christmas night and then pop and pour '80 Sandeman. There's a couple of glasses left for tonight. Initially, it tasted a bit primary, but we were half-in-the-bag when opened. Seems like there's a lot of life in it.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Andy Velebil wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:43 pm 1995 Smith Woodhouse Madelena VP. In a beautiful spot, based on this bottle. But no rush either.
This is a very good Port from a somewhat unheralded year. The 1995 Single Quintas from Fonseca, Crasto, Croft, Delaforce, Veusvio, Taylor and of course Smith Woodhouse are all very good and relatively inexpensive at auction.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Kopke 50 Year Old Tawny Port
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

John M. wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:06 pm Was figuring out what to have over the Christmas Holiday, could not quite decide then I discovered I have leaker--a 1980 Ferreira. Perfect choice that decided for me!
How was this?
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Jonathan S

Post by Jonathan S »

1977 Smith Woodhouse VP (750 mL) (12-30-23)

Happy New Year! [cheers.gif]