Do you drink Port by itself or with some Stilton cheese or nuts?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

John Pluta

Post by John Pluta »

Mike,
Mike J. W.

Re: What have you opened this week?

Post by Mike J. W. »

John Pluta wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:43 pm Mike,
Usually I drink it alone. I've been to a few tastings where some good cheeses were served and it was nice, but straight up is more than fine with me.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

John Pluta wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:43 pm Mike,
That's also a good question for everyone else. Does anyone pair their Port up with something else? If so, does the type of Port (VP/LBV vs Colheita vs TWAIOA) dictate what you'll have with it?

Mod's feel free to move this into its own thread.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Mike J. W. wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:54 am Mod's feel free to move this into its own thread.
An excellent idea. Done.
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.

Re: Do you drink Port by itself or with some Stilton cheese or nuts?

Post by Glenn E. »

As for my answer, I tend to do a little of both. I enjoy Port on its own, but I also enjoy it paired with some cheese or nuts. In my case, usually Tawny Port.

At home I'll usually pair a Tawny Port with a medium firm cheese like white cheddar, comte, gouda, or manchego. It also goes well with soft, creamy cheeses like brie or fromage d'affinois, but I usually prefer something that's firm enough that it needs to be sliced and the slices can be eaten using your hands. I usually have nuts around as well, particularly pecans, almonds, cashews, and pistachios.

When we go out to dinner, I will often drink Ruby Port or White Port with dinner, and a Tawny Port with dessert. I do find that most desserts are too sweet to pair well with Port, though, so it really depends on what they have available.
Glenn Elliott
John M.

Post by John M. »

I do both. At tastings I do not like to eat until I've gone thru the flight(s). I have noticed at tastings that some Ports are more enjoyable with food than they were on their own--but that's usually the ones that did not score well.

But Port is such a sociable drink--sitting down with friends with a glass and a few nuts, cheese, etc. is just part of that experience. And yes, Tawny v Ruby def some different foods. With Rubies more cheese (blues, cheddars), cured meats, some nuts, fig spread, dark chocolate. Tawnies more nuts, harder cheeses.
Any Port in a storm!
Patti G

Post by Patti G »

I bought some English White Stilton cheese with apricots in it this past Christmastime-------absolutely addictive! Adding an alcoholic beverage in addition....well, to me, it would skew the tasting experience of not only the scrumptious cheese but also the nuances of the Port.

That said, I usually eat something before enjoying my Port, either a meal or a snack so that I am not drinking on an empty stomach. 🍷
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

If it just me, maybe a glass with cheeses, or nuts ... and then a second glass on its own. Or if it is the remains of a bottle, I might just have a glass all by itself, a dessert unto itself.

When I'm serving Port to less Port-centric friends, I'm very likely to serve it with a cheese course or dessert. I think that is a good way to explore flavors. "Taste this on its own; now taste it with these three different cheeses."
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Where did the idea of pairing Port and Stilton come from?

Cheap young slimy Stilton is horrid with port IMO - but the drier aged ones can work to a degree with less expensive ports.

The only thing that seems to really pair well with old vintage ports is a fine fillet steak, although smoked salmon can also work well.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Tom Archer wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:48 am The only thing that seems to really pair well with old vintage ports is a fine fillet steak, although smoked salmon can also work well.
A fillet works well, as you said, but that's in part because a fillet is a milder cut of beef. Stronger/more robust cuts like a ribeye need a stronger/more robust - i.e. younger - vintage Port or a nice LBV.

I'll also eat most cuts of pork with a fine, old vintage Port. Lombo assado ("roast loin" which by default is usually pork) is quite common in Portugal and I think it is a great meal to accompany with Vintage Port. But because pork is a milder meat than beef, most cuts pair nicely. Pork chop? Yep. Shoulder/picnic? Yep. Belly? Sure. Even the ham pairs nicely provided it isn't too cured.

Goat also goes great with old Vintage Port, particularly cabrito. At least for me.
Glenn Elliott
Andreas Platt

Post by Andreas Platt »

Tom Archer wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:48 am Cheap young slimy Stilton
???slimy Stilton???

Here are the requirements for Stilton - I have never seen slimy Stilton and the least age required by law is 6 weeks.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... cheese.pdf
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Almost always by itself. Why mix and ruin a good thing :stir:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jonathan S

Post by Jonathan S »

Andy Velebil wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:34 pm Almost always by itself. Why mix and ruin a good thing :stir:
Amen, Sir! [cheers.gif]

I always drink VPs on their own, however, on occasion, I will pair an LBV with Stilton or chocolate mouse.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Andy is 100% correct. Drink your Port and then eat the dessert after you have had a chance to either get a clean impression, write a tasting note and appreciate everything about the Port. If a Vintage Port you lose the ability to detect some flavors, the acidity is affected and tannins can be dumbed down when eating cheese. It changes the mouthfeel as well. No way you can properly discern the full and real character of a VP with any kind of cheese. Save it for a 2nd glass for the pairing with Port but do one glass without first to be able to properly evaluate the Port you are drinking.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I generally drink any port by itself. Don't think of port as a food wine per say.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars