1900 Niepoort Colheita Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

John Danza
Location: Naperville, Illinois, United States of America - USA

1900 Niepoort Colheita Port

Post by John Danza »

• 1900 Niepoort Porto Colheita - Portugal, Douro, Porto (1/24/2024)
    Day 1 - Decanted five hours before service. Light brownish gold. Dominated by monstrous acid coming from 55 years in wood. Underneath there's good signs of toffee, brown sugar, molasses, all those sweet notes you want from a port. Its sweetness I would rate at medium at best, masked by the acid. Paired fabulously with a dark chocolate dense tart brought by a friend, as that dark chocolate tamed the acid.

Day 4 - Finally got back to try some more, which just sat at room temperature in the decanter. The wine has improved! The color is definitely darker, a medium shiny brown. The acid has calmed slightly, and the toffee, brown sugar, molasses is showing much more on the palate but not with an increased sweetness. Just more complex flavors. The finish is a mile long. I still have more in the decanter to try over the coming weekend.

Day 9 - I didn't get a chance to get back to this one until today. There's still a lot of acid but it has calmed down. The color is about the same as Day 4. There's still a ton of toffee on the palate. Sort of treacle as well. Moderate sweetness. This would still be a fabulous foil for some Stilton, if only I had some!!

Overall, this is a wine I would buy again in a heartbeat, assuming good looking bottle conditions. My recommendation is to give it at least an 8-hour double decant, or open it the day before. Old wine needs to wear off the bottle funk. Bumping this to 95 points. (95 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
John Danza