1964 Dow's Reserve Port -- Colheita

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

1964 Dow's Reserve Port -- Colheita

Post by Andy Velebil »

Bottled in 1988. A cloudy dark brown color. Light wood varnish, orange zest, maple, and toffee are very pleasant to the senses. Soft textured, and a little cloying at first. Then plenty of acidity slowly builds and gives it a crisp profile. Marmalade, citrus, old mahogany, cloves, and cinnamon slide seamlessly into the long finish. This bottle is showing very nicely but I wouldn't hold these older bottlings much longer as it's entering it's later stage of bottle life.
92 Points
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John SHA

Re: 1964 Dow's Reserve Port -- Colheita

Post by John SHA »

Hi Andy

I know it is a long time since you posted this review. But I have gotten my hands on one of these 1964 Dow's Reserve bottle and I am planning on pulling it out for a friend's 60th birthday party next week (born 1964).
You mentioned 10 years ago that you felt it was entering the later stage of bottle life.
Just curious what you feel would have happened to it over an additional 10 years since you tasted it. Perhaps past its peak but still enjoyable/drinkable?
Really I'm asking as I don't have any experience with Colheitas and what happens to them when past their prime.
I do have a 1987 bottle of Quinta dos Malvedos VP as backup if the 1964 Dow's is not good any more
Thanks for any comments you have.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

It should still be enjoyable and drinkable. Like most Dow Ports, it is a very slightly drier style than other brands.

Note that there are multiple bottlings of this Port. I have some that were bottled in 1989, so probably not much different than Andy's, but you'll want to check yours to be sure. The later the bottling date the better in most cases.
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Port rarely "falls off the edge" like dry wine can do. However, it tends to get rather soft and cloying and loses that sharpness it had when bottled. I also find the super fine sediment that makes an old bottling cloudy affects the mouthfeel, and not in a good way for me. Makes the texture a little chalky for me. I'm sure your bottle will still be pleasant, though may come off as rather simple. But it won't be anything like what the producer intended it to be when bottled. Do share what you think of it when you do open it. I'd love to hear what you thought of it. [cheers.gif]
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John SHA

Post by John SHA »

Quite a bit of a delay since I tasted this initially. Unfortunately, the first tasting was bottle 9 of the evening so I felt I couldn't make any useful comments.
2 weeks later I was able to revisit the 1964 Dow's. A distinct funk when first poured, which coupled with the cloudy, murky look in the glass made for an unpleasant beginning.
But after sitting for just 5 minutes or so, the funk blew off and what remained was a glass of pure honey. Sweet and amazing. Barely any hint of fruit remained and, if tasting blind, would not have been able even to place it in the port class. Absolutely delicious but barely a wine for that matter. It was more akin to a honey flavoured liquor. Now, I am new to drinking vintage port and don't have any experience with tawny ports, but it was closer to a sauternes in sweetness level without a hint of red berry fruit.
A very interesting experience, particularly as it was my friend's birth year, but, to be honest, I don't think I would search it out again.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

John SHA wrote:Quite a bit of a delay since I tasted this initially. Unfortunately, the first tasting was bottle 9 of the evening so I felt I couldn't make any useful comments.
2 weeks later I was able to revisit the 1964 Dow's. A distinct funk when first poured, which coupled with the cloudy, murky look in the glass made for an unpleasant beginning.
But after sitting for just 5 minutes or so, the funk blew off and what remained was a glass of pure honey. Sweet and amazing. Barely any hint of fruit remained and, if tasting blind, would not have been able even to place it in the port class. Absolutely delicious but barely a wine for that matter. It was more akin to a honey flavoured liquor. Now, I am new to drinking vintage port and don't have any experience with tawny ports, but it was closer to a sauternes in sweetness level without a hint of red berry fruit.
A very interesting experience, particularly as it was my friend's birth year, but, to be honest, I don't think I would search it out again.
You’ve perfectly described what some tawny ports change into after way too long in bottle. Why bottling date does become important at a point. Thanks for sharing your experience.