what is meant by stylistic certification

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Sanjit Keskar

what is meant by stylistic certification

Post by Sanjit Keskar »

I am unable to fully comprehend what is meant by stylistic certification
for example, a madeira labelled Velho is a madeira in conformity with the standard of 5 years old
Does this mean that none of the wines in the blend may actually be 5 years old but that the organoleptic qualities as determined by the tasting panel ?

Also, authorized vs recommended grapes varieties - what connotations do this actually have in production or labelling?

Is tinta negra officially a 'noble grape' variety?
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: what is meant by stylistic certification

Post by Glenn E. »

Sanjit Keskar wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:12 am I am unable to fully comprehend what is meant by stylistic certification
for example, a madeira labelled Velho is a madeira in conformity with the standard of 5 years old
Does this mean that none of the wines in the blend may actually be 5 years old but that the organoleptic qualities as determined by the tasting panel ?
I am not certain that the standards are the same for Port and Madeira, but for Port your question is correct. A "10 Year Old Tawny Port" is a Port that meets the organoleptic qualities set by the IVDP and judged by its tasting panel. It does not mean that the Port is actually 10 years old, just that it tastes like what a 10 year old tawny Port should taste like.

In practice, particularly for older tawnies with an indication of age, the average age of the blend is typically older than what's stated on the bottle. Prior to the approval of the new "50 Year Old" category, many 40 Year Old Tawny Ports had blends that were 50 or more years old. I remember one that the producer claimed was actually 68 years old!
Also, authorized vs recommended grapes varieties - what connotations do this actually have in production or labelling?
There are over 80 red grape and 40 white grape varieties that are authorized for use in the making of Port. That means that you're allowed to use them if you want to. (I do not know the numbers for Madeira, but it's the same idea.)

Of those, significantly fewer are recommended varieties. Recommended varieties are grapes that the IVDP believes make the best Port wine. You aren't required to use them, but most producers do because they really do give the best results.
Is tinta negra officially a 'noble grape' variety?
I don't believe so, no. The "noble grapes" for Madeira, from driest to sweetest, are Sercial, Verdelho, Terrantez, Boal, and Malvasia.

Which is somewhat of a misnomer, because Boal Cachudo as it is known on the island of Madeira is actually Malvasia Fina. The grape used to make Malvasia Madeira is Malvasia Candida, not to be confused with the Italian grape varieties known as Malvasia di Candia and Malvasia Bianca di Candia. (Which, ironically, aren't related.)

Confused yet? :lol:
Glenn Elliott
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

There is a tasting panel at the IVBAM to ensure the blends are stylistically correct. They also test for sugar content, titratable acidity, and volatile acidity.
Tinta Negra was upgraded from authorized to noble a few years ago. Now they can put the variety on the label.
Boal is indeed Malvasia Fina, but Malvasia can be from a number of varieties. Most commonly Malvasia Sao Jorge. Candida is only a tiny fraction, even though it's the original.
Jim S.

Post by Jim S. »

I thought that Bastardo was also a noble varietal in Madeira.