What have you opened this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Mike J. W.

Re: What have you opened this week?

Post by Mike J. W. »

Glenn E. wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:41 pm
Eric Menchen wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:01 pm
Mike J. W. wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:07 pm
How was it? I really like their Colheitas.
Really good. I opened this to go with dessert at the end of an Easter dinner, and didn't take notes. Roughly I'd say it wasn't as good as S.Leonardo 40 (just had one of those, which of course costs more too), but lived up to my expectations. 94 points?
It's a rockin' good Colheita, Mike, and I strongly suspect that you're going to get to try it in a few weeks!

I do like the 1991 better than the 1992, but they're both excellent. And I agree with Eric that neither is quite as good as the S. Leonardo 40 Year Old... but then again, they're only 30 years old so that's not really a fair comparison! :lol:
I'm looking forward to trying their '91 Colheita. I've had their '92, '80 & '82 and all were very good. Their LBV's are excellent as well. I've had their '92 and '95 LBV's and the '95 is the best LBV I've had to date. I have one more bottle left of the '95.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

DR 30 Year Old Tawny Port

It will be interesting to see if the blend for this changes significantly now that DR is no longer making a 40 (they're skipping straight from 30 to 50).
Glenn Elliott
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Martinez 1997 to share at a varied wine dinner.

A bit closed. If you have any, I’d leave them 2-3 years before seeing how they are.
Lucas S

Post by Lucas S »

Am visiting family in Hong Kong and opened a 2017 Taylor LBV I was able to find here.

It's super duper solid. Smooth and impressive. And held up very well for a full week, only half of which was in the fridge which I assume bodes well for it's longevity.

Definitely will be keep an eye out for more when I get back to the States.
All is fair in love and Warre's
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Lucas S wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:24 am Am visiting family in Hong Kong and opened a 2017 Taylor LBV I was able to find here.

It's super duper solid. Smooth and impressive. And held up very well for a full week, only half of which was in the fridge which I assume bodes well for it's longevity.

Definitely will be keep an eye out for more when I get back to the States.
I've always found Taylor's LBVs to be quite solid. They're filtered but still age surprisingly well. I have one last 2003 that I plan to open some time this year because it's finally 21 years old and so of legal drinking age. :lol:

What do you mean that's not how that works? :P
Glenn Elliott
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Al B. wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:21 am Martinez 1997 to share at a varied wine dinner.

A bit closed. If you have any, I’d leave them 2-3 years before seeing how they are.
I had one of these 2 years ago and I scored it at 88 points. Here's what my notes said Very dark but also extremely cloudy. Decanted about 8 hours. It's a simple Port, nothing fancy and nothing really stood out for me. It showed better 24 hours later but had a whiff of band aids and iodine on the nose. Stewed fruits on the palate with a short finish. Surprisingly, this 1997 Port felt like it was already declining. I have 2 more bottles. I'll hold them for a few years as you suggested and see if they improve at all.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

1987 Offley Baron de Forester Colheita (bottled 1999). Horribly corked and undrinkable.

1992 Taylor Fladgate VP from a half bottle. Decanted a few minutes ago to drink tonight. Had a first taste as I always do when decanting and it's delicious. Very, very smooth.