TN: 1968 D'Oliveiras Boal Vintage Madeira

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Philip Harvey

TN: 1968 D'Oliveiras Boal Vintage Madeira

Post by Philip Harvey »

First bottle from a four pack

Mid mahogany cut through with just a hint of greeny gold and holding the glass up to the light, a slightly opaque hue. A very fresh and vigorous nose of furniture polish and toffee apples. On tasting, huge mouthfilling flavours of dried figs, raisins and caramel and a very bright fresh tangy spirit that seems to find every corner of the mouth before leading into a long dry grippy finish. The wine has quite a fat texture but no real sweetness at any stage and the finish is completely dry.

My only slightly negative comment would be that the caramel is a bit obvious but I am sure that this is a characteristic rather than any kind of fault. I am comparing this wine in my mind to the Barbeito 1978 Boal which has no added caramel and which possesses a leaner texture and a fresher style which I personally prefer. Nonetheless, the D'Oliveiras is a class act. The balance is pitch perfect at all stages and the wine will clearly go the distance.

I bought four bottles from Waitrose Direct at £52.25 (inc VAT) as part of a mixed case. Each bottle comes in its own cardboard box with a spare T cork so labels, seals and capsules were all in mint condition. I will definitely buy more.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Philip,

Simply put I believe that this specific bottling is the finest from the past half century.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Philip Harvey

Post by Philip Harvey »

Roy,

Even though the wine perhaps isn't made in my favorite style, I have to agree with you that this is the finest young Madeira I have tasted thus far. Having said that, I think that the Barbeito 1981 Verdelho is still my favorite wine, if that makes sense.

Anyway, if my tax rebate comes through, I will definately be buying a case, of both!