1997 Quinta do Noval LBV Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Todd Pettinger

1997 Quinta do Noval LBV Port

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Quinta do Noval Late Bottled Vintage – 1997
Traditional, Unfiltered. Decanted twice as I royally screwed up the first time allowing sufficient quantities of sediment to make its way into the decanter. Once filtered thru a stainless steel strainer, poured back into the half bottle for easier storage and to make way for the QdN LBV 2000 that will follow this one.

Much to my delight, a true cork is in this 375 mL bottle. It gave me some further practice using my “ah-so”-style opener.

Huge acidic, spirity nose, under which muted aromas of raspberries and perhaps plums hid. I am a bit congested tonight but the alcohol cannot hide itself at all on the nose.

Medium bodied entry, a bit on the shallow side as far as fresh fruit goes. Very hot. Muted raspberry flavour, some cherry flavour, although I would place it between a Bing and a black cherry as far as flavour is concerned. A bit peppery on the after taste, which lasts a good minute.
(I have to admit, I have read TNs which indicated peppery flavours, but never understood how that could be possible. Now I know!)

I will try to leave some for tomorrow, but it is difficult. There are a lot of new posts that I have not been caught up on over the pat 24+ hrs.

+2 hours
It doesn’t seem like this has changed much over the past two hours, but it has certainly disappeared as I come back and copy-paste my TN to the forum. The only change I can readily identify is that the plum taste has intensified, which is contrary to my previous experience with LBVs. Typically I find the tastes dull out the later it gets (and the lower the fill level of the bottle sinks.) I suppose I’ll leave a single glass-worth for comparisons sake and revisit it tomorrow. ;)

Nightcap has concluded, I am heading to bed gentlemen. I bid you all a fond adieu!

Todd
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

Thanks Todd, I have a bottle of this hanging around.
I'm telling you - Port is from Portugal.
Alex R
Location: LA LA Land, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Alex R »

I'm glad i still have a case of this somewhere. :D :winebath:
Julian D. A. Wiseman

“ah-so”-style opener

Post by Julian D. A. Wiseman »

tpettinger wrote:some further practice using my “ah-so”-style opener
Please sir, what is an “ah-so”-style opener?
Todd Pettinger

Re: “ah-so”-style opener

Post by Todd Pettinger »

jdaw1 wrote:
tpettinger wrote:some further practice using my “ah-so”-style opener
Please sir, what is an “ah-so”-style opener?
Julian,
When I saw a reference to this the first time on another post, I wondered the same. I did some research and found one in a local store and tried it out... it works marvelously (except with dry corks, sometimes it pushes those down into the bottle worse than a corkscrew does.)

Scroll to the bottle of this page for an explanation and picture.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottle_opener

Todd
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

+24 hours
I did come back to this port 24 hours later, and the alcohol had integrated much better. Nose and palate had not changed considerably, but a lot of the shocking 'hot-ness' was gone. Very nice.

I would definitely decant for a few hours, but unfortunately it was a 375 mL that I opened up and didn't track properly over an evening. I will be returning for another couple of 375s (the only format they have of this particular year in the LBV) and will do some further "history."

This is a very good LBV, one which I will buy again. Perhaps a case or two!

Todd
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Alex R wrote:I'm glad i still have a case of this somewhere. :D :winebath:
It'll probably be good with even another couple years of age. Sitting unfiltered means it should develop a bit in bottle, perhaps not as much as a true VP, but enough to improve it.

Enjoy it! :)

Todd
Julian D. A. Wiseman

Ahh. One of those.

Post by Julian D. A. Wiseman »

Ahh. One of those.
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Nicely done with the picture-post. I am forced to keep things short and sweet for the moment whilest I am wasting my time at work (but about to break out the "grape juice" in the desk drawer as it certainly has been THAT sort of day :shock: :? :shock:

I will take a few seconds to mention that there is a "Best Corkscrew" topic a few pages back where Uncle Tom warns new users of the Ah-so style bottle openers of the potential danger...

Todd
nicos neocleous

Post by nicos neocleous »

Todd,
The 1997 is a lovely LBV and my favourite producer of LBV's. The 1994 is a relevation and a bargain if you can find it, as I know Roy will confirm... ;)
YOLO
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Hi Nick,

Yes, the 97 is very good. I am trying to find some more in a full 750 mL bottle size - the store I got this from says they have it only in 375s (2 cases) however it seems to be a bit overprice IMHO for a 375mL.

Have you tried the QdN LBV from 2000? I have heard 98 was dreadful and because of it have avoided it. I have not tried the 2000 yet but there is a supplier near me that has caseloads of it. They say one guy came in a walked out with three cases of it - I bought one bottle but have not had occasion to open it just yet.

Todd